Apple Remote Desktop!!!!!!!!

While I realize the importance of this sort of program and I am extremely impressed with it don't get me wrong...

But I'd really want like the opposite of this thing, similar to what Windows XP has. and no, I despise XP. But I'd find it a lot more useful than ssh. I mean the windows user can login from any pc that may not even be running windows xp and essentially access their desktop, their computer, ya know everything.

On campus I would find this sort of thing rather useful. Timbuktu I'm told can od thi crossp platform remote desktopping...but I can't actualyl go and install this sort of program on any pc I come accross.

I'm assuming connecting to my Mac natively fomr a PC is out of the question. But is it feasible from at leats the Mac->Mac connection? I really don't think I'm asking too much.

Well there's always 10.2 to look forward to.

PS along these capabilities lines is it possible ot log out and still leave AIM or anything else for that matter running in th background on a unix system? yet agina similar to the windows XP configuration.

Yeah I know it sounds liek i'm praising XP but I'm just wondering if osx could ever have any of these admittadly bloated features onboard as well. Either that or as a small freeware config I suppose.

Originally posted by TommyWillB
Isn't that called NetBoot?

Isn't that part of OS X Server?

Netboot doesn't let you actually SEE the other screen. Netboot is for placing a disk image on a server, and having all the computers in a lab boot off of it.

As for doing this cross platform, an exelent tool for it is called VNC.

VNC works with Mac OS X, OS9, Linux, FreeBSD, and even Windows. Client and server.

Its free, too. I'll post a url tomorrow or some time.

Will we be able to use this to connect and view friends desktops over the net with cable?
I never could figure out how to do it with Timbuktu with cable?

With OS X Server you can set the Server up as a Parent NetInfo Domain and configure the OS X Clients (using the Directory Setup app) to point to that Parent Domain. When you login from ANY of those Macs pointed to the Parent you would see YOUR desktop, with YOUR prefs, etc…

This is more akin to Timbuktu where you can view or control a remote system's desktop. As a Mac tech at a fairly large U.S. Government installation this would be invaluable, as to solve most of the calls I get involve trashing prefs or something simple like that (but yet the user is too thick to be walked through it over the phone).

Cool stuff.

I think RemoteDesktop isn't an interesting software ....

Why i should use a ~300$ software ONLY FOR MAC OS system when i can freely get a copy of VNC and control UNIX, LINUX, MAC OS 9, MAC OS X, Windows 9x, Win NT/2K ona many many other OSs ???

Back