Apple Rules!

zerorex

Registered
March 23, preorderd OS X with the regular (ie 10 day) shipping
March 24, recieved OS X from fedex priority overnight with saturday delivery.

Now I understand that apple probably did this for everyone, but it still felt good. And on top of that, I love OS X. Yes I know, no DVD, no CD-R, yada yada yada. But the way I see it, OS X is designed to be in a dual boot environment for now. So if you need DVD... Boot into os 9.1, or (i havent tryed this..) i wander if apple dvd player will run in classic? hum...

Anyway, maybe the reason I am so impressed is that I have used unix(Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD) for some time now, and I have become very used to missing/broken/quarky features in unix.

IMO OS X is the most feature rich unix I have tryed. hell its unix with native USB! That in and of its self is a miricle!

Apple Kicks Ass
Mac OS X kicks ass
I couldnt be happier!!!!

~Z~

Couldn't agree more. This is the OS I have been waiting for... A beautiful, intuitive, Mac front end, with all the power of Unix (and some OpenStep quirks, but every Unix has some of them). A year from now, when CDR, DVD player, and productivity apps are available, what will the Cnet/Wintel Press have to criticize?

Any OS which is "designed to be in a dual-boot environment" (meaning, you *have* to dual boot to do what you want) is pretty lame in my opinion.

There are many, many bugs. Here are some of the better ones:

- When I first open a Classic app (like BBEdit), the number 3 is typed forever until I stop it. This only happens in Classic apps.

- The force quit dialog froze on me yesterday. Everything else keeps on working but force-quit is frozen. Surprisingly, this means I can't log out. Hard restart.

- A disk can't be ejected until you restart, whether or not it's in use.

- Even though I installed 9 and X on a separate partition, my old 8.6 Find command no longer works; it tries to run Sherlock 2.

Tie...

"- A disk can't be ejected until you restart, whether or not it's in use."

What sort of disks are you refering to (CD, floppy, USB)?

those are great bugs...
cant say that ive experianced any of them...

I remember when Win95 came out, and I was experianceing all kinds of bugs.. applications freezing, windows closeing, bs of ds all kinds of stuff. I think this has something to do with the fact that i was running it on a 486 sx...

Its a new os, there will be bugs. I said it would work very well in a dual boot environment. I DIDNT say it HAD TO BE in a dual boot environment. The way I look at it, if I did a fresh os x install and installed 9.1 then installed os x over it on the same volume... I would not HAVE to dual boot, but if i wanted to.. I could.

Tell the truth tie,

you are a windows lover arent you :)

Originally posted by deltaflyer
Tie...

CD and also .smi disk images. Music CDs eject fine but for example, I couldn't get rid of the developer tools install cd after using it. I heard that there is some sort of umount -f command but couldn't get it to work (didn't read the man page, tho :) ).

zerorex, I hate Windows. I have to dual boot to use my digital camera. I wrote that post when I was annoyed with X, but actually I really like it. I'm glad it's finally here so it can get better.

I wrote my post just after getting os x, and i was in a rather zelot like mood. I still LOVE X, but I understand that as it is, it may not suit all needs. Give it time.

Sorry if I came across as being snippy hehe

~Z~

Originally posted by deltaflyer
Tie...

Tiens, I never had any problem with that so far. What makes me kinda sick, is all those people jerking around, changing .plist files, installing early alpha releases of obscure shareware software and then go on complaining that this and that doesn't work in OS X. Come on!

Back