Apple scripts from IRIX UNIX box

mromey

Registered
Okay all this may sound a bit odd, but this is what I need to do. I have a Windows machine that is currently running a type of show control software controlling an SGI box. The SGI box is receiving commands to save out files on the SGI's local drive. The SGI's local drive is nfs shared on a MAC box. I'd like to have the windows machine either control the SGI box or my Mac box to run an apple script. What would be the best way to remotely control a mac box to run an apple script from a non apple box, either Windows or IRIX Unix? Just looking for some thoughts.

The one thing that is quite bothersome about apple scripts are they are not cross platform. Realizing that apple scripts were originally meant to control apple applications, it becomes clear that they will inevitably also be used to do system task as well as non specific OS tasks like building a web page. (Image capture's Build Web page) It would be very cool, if apple offered some method of compiling an apple script into some type of applet that could be run on all non apple boxs (WINDOWS, IRIX, LINUX), simply offering errors to apple specific commands. Otherwise people will be less opt to spend time scripting something in Apple script when a shell script would be more versatile if usable. Or better yet, just make the Apple script commands accessible via a shell script. Maybe this is the real solution. From a programmers point of view would it be possible to convert the syntax of a non specific apple scipt into a Java script?

Don't know just rambling, please forgive my ignorance revolving this subject matter, just trying to understand how to get out of the dead end I'm stuck in right now.

Roman

I know there are AppleScripts "out there" that can check or do something when a folder changes or has something added to it. Perhaps you could get your hands on the folder-status code and incorporate it into an AppleScript that does some particular function. You might me able to set up an FTP session or something similar placing files in a series of folders that a particular AppleScript responds to, ala remote control.

As far as Apple making AppleScript for another OS, you're dreaming. Apple wants YOU to BUY APPLE HARDWARE. Apple is a hardware company as much as it is a software company. It's one of the last computer companies to make the whole "widget". Expect some really cool things from Apple in the next few years.

Back