Apple Security Update

RyanLang

Charlie Brown
Check it out on version tracker.

Security Update 7-12-02 increases the security of the Software Update process for systems with Software Update client 1.4.5 or earlier. Packages presented via the Software Update mechanism are now cryptographically signed, and the new Software Update client 1.4.6 checks for a valid signature before installing new packages. Downloaded packages which do not contain a valid signature are deleted from the system.

Hah! It's less than a week since the news-sites flagged about insecurity, now it's fixed! I just love Apple for doing this:D

Just before downloading the new software updater I tried doing an update but no available updates were found.

I thought this might be due to the fact they won't show up with out the new updater version so I went and downloaded and installed it. Still no updates listed.

There were several updates I had never installed previously (like Java 1.3.1 and some airport stuff). These had been listed when I checked software update about a week back.

Where have they gone? is this just a transient thing - the updater has been a bit dodgy occasionally in the past. It's sometimes had trouble connecting etc.

Anyone else had similar happen to them?

Since the whole point of this update is to fix the security hole in SU, it quite logically is not installed through SU.

Originally posted by genghiscohen
Since the whole point of this update is to fix the security hole in SU, it quite logically is not installed through SU.

If you are refering to my post above I can't have made myself clear.

I got the new version of software update from apple's site.

The problem is not the listing of the software updater itself bit of other updates (like Java 1.3.1 etc).

They've gone but I have never installed them!

Software Update just tells me I'm up-to-date.

I'm not!

The stuff I'm missing isn't that important but still, I'd like to know where it went!

Yeah, the same thing happened with me. I had 10 inactive updates (mostly regionalization stuff), and they all disappeared. :confused:

Same thing has happened to me after a clean install of 10.1.2. Nothing shows up on software update and says I'm up to date. I'm gonna try installing the new SU and see if the cures the problem.

Edit: Well, I've installed the update and DVD player shows in software update now. I take it that's because the other updates are being digitally signed?

Seeing as how this was a security conscern, not even really a risk, i dont think it would have been bad for apple to release this update through SU. Most people who just go by downloading the updates as they come prolly havent even heard of the issue yet. What is more likely, if they havent released this on SU yet, is that it would be updating the program installing it self. But they may have already put it up, i got it off the page this morning so i wouldnt know.

The update does appear in Software Update. Apple usually puts updates on there after they post them on their website.

As for the disappearing updates:
since the new version of SU uses authentication, the updates have to be changed so that SU can make sure that they are the right installers.

They will most likely re-appear soon.

xoot: That article was referring to fixes in Mac OS X 10.1, which has nothing to do with the current security update. Furthermore, I doubt that *Microsoft* would ever help out Apple with :rolleyes: *security*, when methinks it has a major security problem in Windows as it is.

Anyway, I think that Software Update command line tool is pretty nifty! :)

Oh.. one other thing: I have had quite a few kernel panics after installing this update -- about 4 in the past 3 days. Has anybody else experienced this, or is it just me? (Hopefully Jaguar will be released soon so I don't have to do 2 erase-and-reinstalls. I can live with a few crashes here and there.)

No kernel panics for me either. This machine has been rock solid since 10.1.5 (I was having some weird crashes before 10.1.5 though).

No kernel panics since the update... Can someone please give me the version number of Software Update after the installation?

Back