Apple Security Update

Javintosh

Meember
It seems there are two MacOS X security updates from Apple via Software update. One prevents the automatic execution of files downloaded with IE and the other one "provides increased security for application access priviledges." I can only assume that the second one patches the newly found security bug.

Javintosh

Red Phoenix

Registered
Yup, the second one seems to fix Apple's security bug. Wow, they work fast, unlike a certain large MICROcomputer SOFTware company that will remain nameless. Dang it though, it messed up my uptime. I had 16 days and 22 hours. I guess I was due for a reboot, anyway.

Javintosh

Meember
I have mail setup to auto launch and get my mail when I logon. After the security update, mail showed me the enclosed prompt for every account I have setup with mail.

I don't know if things were not encrypted before or if things were automatically decrypted without checking which app was doing the decryption or whatever. It feels like a little extra security protection for something that had not even made it to anyone's radar screen.

Way to go Apple!

Javintosh

Attachments

blb

`'
Looks like the security update modified the Installer, Software Update, and the ApplicationServices' Core Graphics framework. I definitely applaud regular security updates, but it sure would be nice to have more info than "increased security for application access privileges".

Oh, and the build is now 5L14

xrayman101

Registered
I couldn't get the IE update until I moved IE back to its original location in the Applications folder. After that it updated without problem.

WoLF

For President
i think it did that to my on entourage.. before i had the security update installed.. i just clicked always allow for each of the mail accounts i have set up

rharder

Do not read this sign.
Rats. I've moved IE too. Where was it originally supposed to be? /Applications? /Applications/something?

-Rob

jimr

McInstigator
Originally posted by rharder
Rats. I've moved IE too. Where was it originally supposed to be? /Applications? /Applications/something?

-Rob
Explorer
in
/Applications/

That Dialog for the Keychain has always been there. According to preferences, you might be able to disable some part of the dialog.(kind of a nuisance, but very comforting in the business environment where you might have private e-mail)

Maybe the update reset the prefs, or enforces the usage.

if you haven't re-started for a while you may have just forgotten.