Apple sells 275000 tracks in 18 hours

Originally posted by kendall
that is impressive considering i would imagine less than 25% of Mac users even realize there is an iTunes Music Store right now.

Sorry, I'm just curious, where did you get this number? less than 25% of mac users know there's an iTunes Music store? Is this your opinion, or are you referring to an actual poll somewhere?

I was talking to some one (online) who is in New Zealand and he knew about the iTunes Music store the day Apple released it. He expressed his frustration about being out of the US which prevented him from taking part in the first day's worth of sales.

So many people have expressed how Apple's "little" music store couldn't possibly have an effect on the music industry because they only have a 3% market share. It seems that the 3% is voicing their intent by purchasing music anyway. This is an impressive move for Apple. I can see why they delayed their Window's version of iTunes, they want to show the Window's users out there, they they are missing something by not being apart of the "Apple group". PC users (just like Mac users) don't like being left out. And, in this case, they are kind of missing something pretty impressive.

Dusky old chap, I hate to spoil your fun, but i think you're making some rather large assumptions with this:
Mac users are more willing to pay for software than PC users.

PC users have more access to pirated software than Mac users.
To say that PC users have more access to pirated cpmputer-related material of any kind is utterly ridiculous. The only reason people THINK that Wintel PC users pirate more, is because there are so many more of them. And we have to consider that of all those Wintel users, a fair percentage are not "Advanced users" as some might say. A lot of PC users who aren't right into the IT thing simply ask their friendly geek for warez. What happens when they don't know one? They buy it. As for the Mac community being more likely to pay for software/music/etc. Have you EVER seen any of the Client-Server apps for file sharing? (I won't name names because then the admins get pissy :p ) And I'm not saying you should go start downloading gigs of illegal content. I'm simply saying its there for anyone who is looking for it. And. I think that half the reason so many Wintel Apps are pirated (MS in particular) is because of the high prices, and crappy software. Why pay $600+ for crap when you can get that same crap for free??

Just so people know also. The reason the store is only US right now, is because that was a restriction put on by the record industry. Same for it not being released at the same time as the Windows. They are to some extent testing the service. And they want to keep it small right now.

Matthew

Originally posted by kendall
this is incorrect.

And what proof do you have that it is incorrect?

The source of the 3% is the IDC sales last year. It is a well known fact that mac users replace their computers at 1/2-1/4 of the rate that windows users do. Thus 10-15% of the actual number of pc users are actually mac users.

Back