Apple Software Update Q

GadgetLover

Senior Member & Tech Guru
OK, so here's a question for you OS X / UNIX *pros* ...

If I change the owner of the *Apple* installed Applications to "me" instead of "root" and the group to "staff" instead of "admin" (so that I can control who can view/delete some of these files better) can Apple Software Update still see and update them? (They would still reside in the Drive/Applications folder).

Unrelated Question 2:

Do I *need* to keep "receipts" (stored in the Library folder)? For example, I have package receipts for 10.0.1 - 10.0.4 in there but I am now running 10.1, so do I NEED them there. And what do they do other than show you WHAT packages have been installed??

Don't know about changing owner & group of /Applications, but you can remove receipts, if you wish. AFAIK, the only reason you might want to hang on to them is as a "checklist" for uninstalling their apps.

Originally posted by genghiscohen
Don't know about changing owner & group of /Applications, but you can remove receipts, if you wish. AFAIK, the only reason you might want to hang on to them is as a "checklist" for uninstalling their apps.

Thanks, I removed the receipts for 10.0.1 - 10.0.4 since I'm on 10.1 now.

OK, so I know that others have asked this question before but I'm looking for a definative answer (I, myself, may have even asked a related question here in a different thread) . . .

Do you NEED to (or should?) keep your OS X applications in the root "Applications" folder or can you, for example, put all NON Apple installed apps (NOT the ones that come with 10.1) into your HOME directory (like I did) in a folder called "Applications X". And can you do the same with OS 9 apps (e.g., HOME/"Classic Apps"). Someone told one of my friends yesterday that you NEEDED to keep X apps in "Applications" (I don't see why because so far so good doing it our way) and that OS 9 apps NEEDED to be in "Applications (Mac OS 9)" in the root. I say, B.S., that just because Apple puts Classic apps there doesn't mean I have to.... right? Wrong? Help!

The only reason that an application would need to be put in /Applications is if it provides a Service. Apart from that, you can put 'em just about anywhere you like. I myself have all my added OS X apps on an entirely different partition. Works fine for me, and saves me from having to back 'em up if/when I need to wipe my OS X partition.

Originally posted by genghiscohen
The only reason that an application would need to be put in /Applications is if it provides a Service. Apart from that, you can put 'em just about anywhere you like. I myself have all my added OS X apps on an entirely different partition. Works fine for me, and saves me from having to back 'em up if/when I need to wipe my OS X partition.

That's basically what I did and WHY I did it. I figure when this thread is done you and I will either be seen as prophetic brainiacs or just plain ol' idiots. :)

(I vote for the former).

Anyone else have a take on this whole thing ....

... lemme say one thing: I tried the trick of putting an alias of my Applications folder on another partition in the regular Applications folder, hoping that the services would register because of the alias. The result: the services did not register.

So it seems that, yes, if you have an application that provides a Service, you must have it in the default Applications folder that is installed when OS X is installed. This is in part because of the rigidity of UNIX. However, we must remember than OS X is still a fledgling operating system, no matter how powerful and awesome it is -- so we may see some improvements in customization of the placement of applications of and files in later builds of OS X -- and I'm sure these will come.

On another point, you probably will have to keep all apps that are monitored by the Software Update pane in the default Applications folder, too, because of the same reason. The pane will only monitor this folder right now, but maybe someone can hack the preference pane or the Software Update application to search for things on the whole computer (effectively change the search directory from '/Applications' to '/'). It might slow down Software Update considerably, but then we could have our customization back. Anybody up for it? :D

Yup, I agree with the need to keep Software Updateable Apple apps (and IE) in the /Applications folder; my Q is regarding non-Apple apps. :)

The only reason why I want these apps in a different folder is to protect them from Apple's installer and updater which might accidentally f*k up the third-party apps. Is my concern lame? Do most of you guys all keep your apps in the /Applications folder?

Also, will someone explain to me the Services issue -- which applications use services and what is the functionality (that it allows you to do something without loading the app itself?)?

Thanks!

Back