Apple Special Event March 6th

Qion

Uber Nothing
So that would be today. Happenings/discussion here...

sdk.png

Hopefully 100% compatibility with Exchange server without any IT administrator intervention to stop all the whiners.

Wow... this is looking sodding awesome... 3D games, 3D audio, full Core Animation, AIM natively on iPhone, SDK included in next software update...

They're using the accelerometer as a game controller, like the iWii... ha.

that was more impressive than I was expecting. Standout announcements for me

- various enterprise updates, mainly to stop people complaining, though I'm sure they'll find something else now.
- games are much more impressive than I was expecting. I did not think you could get 3D games like Monkey Ball running on an iPhone.
- App store allowing free apps
- I noticed one of the APIs listed was for voice recording, so it looks to me they will allow a VoIP client. the fact they have allowed an IM client, which also undermines AT&T indicates they are not afraid to allow this. fingers crossed.

I don't like the fact that they are controlling the apps exclusively through their app store, but I'm not surprised.

I'm a little worried that I won't be able to purchase apps because I'm outside the USA with an unlocked phone, but I'm thinking that if the Touch is getting the apps too, it should be OK?

Well, the idea of all apps costing 40% more than they should because Apple takes a very large cut of the sales is not encouraging. Apple's distribution platform sounds appealing, but forcing everyone to use it does not.

It's also not encouraging that there will (apparently) be no free means of deploying iPhone software (since it takes a membership to post apps on the AppStore even if they're free). This doesn't bother me so much as a potential developer as it does as a potential user. As a user, it's a big point against the iPhone, because I know it will limit the availability of good free software. A lot of what I use is freeware and open-source software. How much of this will ever make it to the iPhone with restrictive rules?

A serious platform should welcome all developers and be as open as possible. I find it very disappointing that Apple is treating the iPhone more like a game console than a computer or PDA.

Did they say what free apps would cost? ;) (I didn't get to watch the stream yet, sadly...)

There will be free apps available thru the distribution model Apple has in mind. However, even to deliver free apps developers must sign up and pay the $99 developer fee.

Part of me views this as good thing. There's a different between a free app, and a useful or quality app. This may help weed out the "crap" so to say.

While I think it's great that Apple is bringing all that push technology to the enterprise, I think it would be great if they could add that .Mac as well. Maybe not a full push, but there should be someway to sync address book, calendar over the air if they are backed up to .Mac.

I think this is a great announcement. I already downloaded and installed the SDK and I can't even buy an iPhone here. It includes the mobile Safari so you can test out your websites without having an iPhone.

I hope that the cut they take will go down in the future but the infrastructure they've built is extensive. The only thing that I don't like is that they control what apps you can put on the phone until someone hacks it. I'm sure that they will soon but it's still rather annoying that you would have to do that. They might not let VOIP applications on there through their App Store because it competes with the wireless carriers. They don't define what's a bandwidth hog application. You could argue that Safari is a bandwidth hog application when running on the cell networks though. I don't think there's any point of having a p2p application on there besides the fact that you could do it, but there are plenty of other rich media applications that they might not let on there.

About the $99 price tag. Apple charges for all their developer accounts that give you access to pre-release software. The student developer account is $99. I think their intent with this is to keep people away that want to try and distribute apps you might consider grey-market and illegal.

a Pontificating Moron said:
“If you truly want the enterprise businesses, it seems to me you’d put together an entire package for all sorts of products needed in a large business,” he added. “Maybe a major strategy is what’s coming, and they are truly creating a new business model, but so far I’d say there’s no readily apparent enterprise objective.”

Hopefully these sorts of people will adopt the iPhone and Apple's enterprise platform as it becomes popular with the more progressive-minded executives. I think it's only a matter of time, especially with the massive incentive of one hundred million dollars for developers.

Back