Apple Store Closed.

There was no point in starting a new thread about purchasing things...

If you look at the thread title and the first post in the thread and then where you took the discussion, I'd say it very much *WOULD* have warranted its own thread. Also, it does _not_ belong in Apple News & Rumours if it's about buying Vista and should go to the Café instead. So I still stand by my previous notion. But it's happened now. However in the future, I'd like you not to hijack threads in this manner. Friendly reminder.

I haven't seen, say, a MacBook owner replace his motherboard without it failing. So: No problem here for us Mac users, I'd say. Same goes for iMac and Mac mini users. And I doubt Apple's going to start selling us upgrade motherboards for Mac Pros. So... Still no problem.

If you're going to buy the OEM version of vista, you better hope you never replace your motherboard because you will most likely have to buy a new license. The OEM version doesn't allow you to replace your motherboard unless it was due to a failure.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

I'm either very lucky, or they have relaxed those restrictions. I just built a SLI system and have changed my motherboard three different times, my hard drives two times, and pulled out various different memory sticks and video cards.

Each time I had to re-activate over the phone and didn't have to explain myself in great detail. I just told them that I needed to change my motherboard due to compatibility issues with other hardware. No questions after that and was given my activation code.

Also, it does _not_ belong in Apple News & Rumours if it's about buying Vista and should go to the Café instead
No, it wasn't just about buying Vista - it was about comparing it to OS X, especially with multiple copies

Back