Apple + Tab = Cool

Originally posted by phatsharpie
And "Apple" + "`" = next window in active application!

And don't forget apple-shift-` (that is, apple-~) to rotate through the windows in the opposite direction.

Also, while Apple-tabbing between apps, and still holding the apple key, you can:

Q - to quit the highlighted app.

H - to hide the highlighted app.

Those are my most used shortcuts.

Once you push apple-tab the first time, you can keep holding the apple key and press shift to go the other direction.

its not possible to hit apple + "~" on german keyboards, because the "~" tilde is a special key on the german keyboard ( we have to press alt+n if i remember it right... im currently on a pc..)

apple shouldnt forget thinks like that...

Originally posted by Dradts
its not possible to hit apple + "~" on german keyboards, because the "~" tilde is a special key on the german keyboard ( we have to press alt+n if i remember it right... im currently on a pc..)

apple shouldnt forget thinks like that...

Um was zu erreichen??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Habe hier das MacWelt Extra. da sind alle Tastenkürzel drauf, die man braucht!!! :eek: :) :p :p

Originally posted by phatsharpie
And "Apple" + "`" = next window in active application!

Also very cool!

Actually, I really wish they'd standardise this. It's different in some apps (is apple+arrow keys in Terminal, for example)

Yeah, but in the Terminal that, command-1,2,... switch windows, and command-`. In Terminal's case, it's more like a ton of commands do the same thing but the default still works. I mainly wish command-` worked in all apps, but it'd have to be specially added to the non-Cocoa apps.

There should be a full list of Finder keyboard commands somewhere.

If there is one of these already, could someone point the way to it?

Originally posted by Red Phoenix
Yeah, but in the Terminal that, command-1,2,... switch windows, and command-`. In Terminal's case, it's more like a ton of commands do the same thing but the default still works. I mainly wish command-` worked in all apps, but it'd have to be specially added to the non-Cocoa apps.

Actually, I just remembered that Cmd+` is 'Go to folder' in the Finder. How do you cycle active windows in the Finder? And how did Apple let this get so wrong?

Originally posted by tismey

Actually, I just remembered that Cmd+` is 'Go to folder' in the Finder. How do you cycle active windows in the Finder? And how did Apple let this get so wrong?

The best that I've seen is a workaround from this thread (a good thing to try, and Youpi Key is a great thing to have anyway). I think this got away from Apple because they didn't add the command-` standard until 10.1, and that was "Go to folder...." since possibly even the Public Beta. They definitely need to change it though, because if Apple can't even hold to their own standards no one can be expected to.

And Apple + shift = previous open App.

However, this is MUCH BETTER done in Windows, where Alt + Tab is previous ACTIVE app, so you hit it once you change to another app, you hit THE SAME KEY COMBO again and you are back on the first app. In Mac OS X, if the Apps where not opened just one after the other you have to hit tab/shift several times to change between one and the other, which is quite uncomfortable, since you have to look at the Dock to see how many times that is.

In OS X, I think it works better than in Windows. If you use Apple-Tab to switch to another app, then you can hit Apple-Shift to go back to the original App. But I guess it comes down to personal preference.

you can hit Apple-Shift to go back to the original App

Er... not exactly. That's what Alt + Tab does in Windows. In X Apple+Shift takes you to the open app that is at the left side in the Dock of the one you are in, which is not necessarily the previous active one. I forgot to mention too that Shift does not work unless you have first used Apple + Tab.

This way Apple + Tab will lead you to the next open app (not the last active as in windows), and 'Apple + Tab' + Shift + Shift will lead you to the previous open app (while in Windows just type Alt + Tab again and you are back there). That is that "simple" IF both open apps are one besides the other in the Dock, but hey "in Mac OS X you do not need to close applications", so prepare to click a crazy combo of alts and shifts 20 times if that is the icon span in the Dock between the apps you want to keep swapping. And do that without forcing your sight to derive from the workspace towards the Dock...

So in your opinion 'Apple + Tab' + Shift +Shift, and having to click either Shift or Tab a variable ammount of times each time to go back and forth, while having to look at the Dock of course, is better than ONE single Alt + Tab to change between two apps repeatedly?

I love many many things of Mac OS X better than Windows similarities, but let's give credit where it is due. Alt + Tab is in Windows since Windows 3 so it is quite normal that they have it more polished than Mac OS. I do not think this has nothing to do with subjectiveness. Windows is simply more efficient with its way of dealing with this.

PS: One could argue that if I plan on working on two specific apps intermitently I could just move one in the Dock to be next to the other, but then the system is telling me what to do instead of the opposite, forcing me to take extra steps which I wouldn't normally do, replacing my 'personal tastes' (I might like it the place they are already), and the Dock will think that by moving a certain open app's icon I am telling it too to make that icon stay in the Dock when i close the app, so yet another unwanted sideeffect.

...and I had never heard of Apple-` before (Apple-Tilde)... that is a LIFESAVER! Wow! It works in OmniWeb as well, which is good. I can't believe I've been a Mac user for nearly 9 years and I didn't know that! :)

Another interesting thing, if you guys didn't know this: on any LCD display (including the LCD iMac and I believe including ones that are not made by Apple but are running in OS X) you can push Cmd-F14 and Cmd-F15 (Pro Keyboard) to lower and raise the brightness... did anyone already know that? :)

and of course there's the old Apple-ctrl-tab to move to the next field (in IE or Quark Xpress' Printmonitor/menu of tools)...

Back