Apple tech-heads, help required!

So the guy dropped off the G5 today, did a fresh install of tiger and managed to swop over my PC and Mac ram without a hitch, both run fine.. The card IS a Geforce FX 5200, with a DVI out, and ADC, so for the time being I'm running on one screen..

The only other problem was installing my sound card.. the slot wasn't the right shape for the soundcard at all? The cuts in the G5's slots didn't match the card.. which I was a bit dissapointed about. So looks like I'm gonna have to make do with the crappy onboard sound until I can buy a new card for it.

Other than that I'm thrilled with my G5. Lovely little machine (well I say little, the things built like a bloody tank) and hasn't presented any problems thus far with my tinkerings..

So.. If I was to buy an ADC to DVI converter cable, I theoretically could have both monitors up and running? As in one huge desktop, not two mirrored screens.

Also if this is the case, does anyone know a good, cheap place in the UK to buy these from?

Many thanks.
bren

dedisded said:
The only other problem was installing my sound card.. the slot wasn't the right shape for the soundcard at all? The cuts in the G5's slots didn't match the card.. which I was a bit dissapointed about. So looks like I'm gonna have to make do with the crappy onboard sound until I can buy a new card for it.

Crappy onboard sound??? Have you plugged in speakers to the G5? Personally, I think the sound from 99% of the Macs out there are incredible, especially when compared to integrated sound solutions on PCs (with the only exception being SoundStorm on the nForce chipset motherboards).

Remember that QuickTime is what's driving the sound on the Macs.

Incidentally, what sound card are you using?

Which do you mean?

Built into the mac is 'Texas Instruments TAS3004', I only say crappy onboard sound as I'm used to PC's onboard sound being utter crap. As it happens I can run Logic with no latency with the onboard sound, I just can't plug my studio monitors into the headphone jack.. I might just get a headphone jack to phono splitter for now until I can afford a nice new soundcard.

The soundcard I was trying to insert into the Mac (if thats what you meant) was an m audio audiophile.

bren

Be aware that the single CPU 1.8 GHz G5 is known to have problems with Tiger.

Such as?

I noticed for instance when I left a program running when I went out last night, and came back in the early hours and there was an error message being displayed on top of the screensaver saying 'You need to restart your mac' or something like that with a big power button in the middle of it. The fan also sounded like it was running at a very high speed as it sounded like there was a helicopter in my room (compared to the silence now), which didn't seem extremely healthy

From my experience, the DA and AD convertors on the PM G5s are pretty good for what is effectively a freebie. When they clock source is internal (ie. you're using the analogue audio in or are slaving a digital device to your G5s clock). Subjectively, I don't think you'll notice much difference between the M-Audio card and the built in system on your Mac.
I'm a bit miffed by the lack of G5 compatability on the Audiophile. As far as I was aware they worked. Hmm....

Back