Apple TiVo??

zwheeloc

Registered
MacOSRumors is reporting a TiVo like device as the next digital lifestyle. I wonder how Apple will make it better... Besides making it a lot more intuitive, of course.
Zeff Wheelock

This has been debunked before...but MAN I wish it's true.

I LOVE TiVo and LOVE my iMac...tying the two together would be pure bliss!!!

This came out at macworld... Sounds pretty TIVO to me!! :D

http://www.elgato.com/eyeTV/index.html

Eye TV Digital Video Recorder frees you from TV schedules. Find and track all the programming you want to see, and watch it whenever you want to. Pause live television. Skip commercials. Record your favorite shows permanently using your CD burner. EyeTV will change the way you watch television.

"EyeTV will change the way you watch television."

No...it changes the way I watch my computer.

I want a BOX that I put on my TV.
(actually I already have quite a few...two TiVo's and one ReplayTV - soon to be two)

I don't want my computer turned into a TV.

While cool, EyeTV does the latter.

Right now it's too risky of a market. PVR's are under fire from the television industry because they ruin advertising revenues. IF Apple was to enter the market, I don't applying a sticker that says "Don't skip commercials" or "Don't record copyrighted material" would work like it did on the iPod.

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
Right now it's too risky of a market. PVR's are under fire from the television industry because they ruin advertising revenues. IF Apple was to enter the market, I don't applying a sticker that says "Don't skip commercials" or "Don't record copyrighted material" would work like it did on the iPod.

I disagree that the TiVo RUINS advertising revenues. The advertisers have absolutely no idea what I do when an advertisement comes on during a television show. I go and get a beverage and a snack. Whether or not I have a TiVo, I'm going to MISS the advertisement. Why? Because American television programming has become so predictable, that almost everyone knows the length of time advertisements run during a show, a good 3 to 4 minutes. That's enough time for a brief potty break, grab a snak, and talk to the person next to you what you plan to do for the next day. What do these avertisers think, Americans are too lazy to do something else besides waste time watching an advertisement? Time is too precious in today's society. People multitask morethan ever. If we don't want to see an advertisement, we aren't going to see it.

The first 7 to 10 minutes of a REAL MOVIE is filled with whats cming out in 6 months, along with the Pepsi commercials, etc...a perfect time to get a popcorn. Everone thinks they're going to miss the beginning of the movie. Not so.

The advertises have no right to complain, they PAID for the advertisement and it was broadcast as promised. Whether or not it was seen, well, that's different. Regardless of how many people see the advertisement, the advertisers are paying for AIR TIME, not EYE BALLS. They can't make us watch it.

I think this will be less and less of an issue as product placement moves into the small screen. I read an article about it (which I can't locate anymore) which stated that the reason people in the show Sex and the City (pardon if the title is not corretc, I don't have cable) are always yapping in the phone is because Motorola is a sponsor...

Well said Chem Geek.

Lets not forget about channel surfing at commercial breaks. There was one proposal i read about of making television into the widescreen format and running advertisements in the space above and below the show. We would get shows that run without commercial breaks and the advertisers would be really happy.

Originally posted by chemistry_geek

I disagree that the TiVo RUINS advertising revenues. The advertisers have absolutely no idea what I do when an advertisement comes on during a television show. I go and get a beverage and a snack. Whether or not I have a TiVo, I'm going to MISS the advertisement. Why? Because American television programming has become so predictable, that almost everyone knows the length of time advertisements run during a show, a good 3 to 4 minutes. That's enough time for a brief potty break, grab a snak, and talk to the person next to you what you plan to do for the next day. What do these avertisers think, Americans are too lazy to do something else besides waste time watching an advertisement? Time is too precious in today's society. People multitask morethan ever. If we don't want to see an advertisement, we aren't going to see it.

The first 7 to 10 minutes of a REAL MOVIE is filled with whats cming out in 6 months, along with the Pepsi commercials, etc...a perfect time to get a popcorn. Everone thinks they're going to miss the beginning of the movie. Not so.

The advertises have no right to complain, they PAID for the advertisement and it was broadcast as promised. Whether or not it was seen, well, that's different. Regardless of how many people see the advertisement, the advertisers are paying for AIR TIME, not EYE BALLS. They can't make us watch it.

Now I can certainly agree with you there Chem Geek, I don't watch the commercials either. But in order for the free broadcast system to work, someone has to. I also don't dispute that people have the right to timeshift a show, and watch it devoid of commercials, no matter what some company says. They shouldn't be able to control what you see and what you don't.

BUT, the problem arises when everyone exercises their right to skip the commercials. The free broadcast system would collapse. It's either that, or the television industry finds ways of blocking this right, making it harder to exercise. Of course, we all know that the industry will pick option two. And when they do, they're going to draw a line in the sand and ask who's on their side.

I don't think it suits Apple to make an enemy of the television industry by making a PVR just as they're trying to make inroads into the hollywood scene. Plus, Apple depends on the free broadcasters to be able to run its flashy new comercials. Make NBC mad and you can be sure they will stop playing them on even pay stations like CNBC and MSNBC. Take it one step further and piss off TimeWarner by lowering the profitability of their own networks and all of a sudden you can't put an ad in the front of Time as per usual, or AOL may start acting a little less friendly.

It makes no sense for a company at such mercy to the media to alienate themselves. Now, if they're was a PVR, I would buy it, but I doubt Apple will do it.

PS: Thinking abotu this now, could this new Apple-AOL partnership result in some kind of copy control PVR hardware that is dual branded? The dual branded part makes me want to vomit, but couldn't it happen?

!!!! i have always wanted to see this in an faq!!!!!!!
We have no plans at this time to release a Windows version. However, shows that are exported as QuickTime movies and Video CDs are playable on Windows.

Back