Apple to add SMS synching between iCal, iSync, Address Book and Nokia phones...?

d8n_two

Registered
I had the chance to talk with a Nokia USA recruiter the other day at a career fair my university was hosting. After I was done brown-nosing for a job, I talked to him in a non-official capacity about the future of wireless and new devices that were out. After talking for a while I mentioned how cool the SonyEricsson T68i and it's Bluetooth technology was when used with a Bluetooth-enabled Mac. He went on to tell me that Nokia will have Bluetooth phones out soon that are comparable to the T68i.

This is nothing new, but that's when the rumors started coming. He talked about how all these new phones were GSM/GPRS-only and the lack of penetration these networks are getting. Most people still use TDMA or other cuurent generation handsets (ATTWS & Cingular were the providers he noted that were just starting to change to GSM), and that Apple and Nokia have been in talks to develop functionality in iSync, iCal and Address Book that allows you to sync your, say, 8260 via SMS as it has the ability to recieve simple vCards, vCalendars, and notes.

Add this to the SpyMac SMS in .mac rumor, and Apple could offer such features to .mac users only in an attempt to spur subscriptions. All just rumors, but something to think about.

d8n_two

Nokia already has GSM/GPRS phones that support Bluetooth out in Europe.

Ahh, Europe, the promised land of wireless communications. GSM has been the standard here, since, oh, I don't know, the dawn of time, and GPRS is pretty common :)

Originally posted by nichrome
Nokia already has GSM/GPRS phones that support Bluetooth out in Europe.

Ahh, Europe, the promised land of wireless communications. GSM has been the standard here, since, oh, I don't know, the dawn of time, and GPRS is pretty common :)

hehe! ..Yes yes, i love tha! ... For Once, the Americans Seemed 2 be Left in the Dust 'in general' ... i Don't understand Why! but Hey! ... its all Good 2 me! :D

NeYo

Asia (where I come from) is the testing ground for Nokia phones (I am from Singapore) and the latest models always hit our shores very fast.

The problem is, Nokia implements and uses outdated Bluetooth in their current phone lineup and it does not work with Mac (for now). I think they are realising that after seeing red at Sony-Ericsson's runaway success with the T68i mobile phones.

Hope this will wake up someone in Finland and start to think about Bluetooth seriously. The 7650 which has been launched months back is close to a total loss because no one likes it here and the sales has been bad as according to many resellers I have spoken to.

Hope the newer generation of Bluetooth implementation will be better, from Nokia.

Wake up Nokia!

And I am a Nokia user. :D

That's one thing I like. When i see that Australia has something more advanced than the USA ;)

We use the GSM 800/1600 bands.

That's our dual band phones, and we have a coupel of Tri Bands phones. It's funny, these work in any country.... except the USA and Japan.

In the USA, you have the 8260, correct? Our version is the 8210. Same phone, jsut different networks.

Hello :D

I use Nokia 6310i, bluetooth, GPRS, Adressbook and SMS. work fine. I send SMS via Addressbook (klick phonenumber - addressbook - you get options: phone, send SMS.) when addressbook is open, use bluetooth, if your friend phone, you get window: answer, send SMS. same if you get SMS...

I am getting the Sony Ericcson T68i tomorrow! Yeah! Bluetoothing my way too! Joining the bandwagon! iCal handles daily schedules, SMS through Add Book.

Since me n00b with Bluetooth, will need you guys to help me too ok? Thanks.

so the nokia bluetooth phones will sync with address book? hmm... what about phones that connect via USB cable? will those work?

what's SMS? i want a phone that i can hook up to my computer and have it download my address book stuff and possibly my calendar stuff. the only supported bluetooth phone in my region is that really expensive ericsson... and i (a student) can't afford it ^_^.

Thanks to a good friend of mine working in Sony, I got the T68i at staff price! Yeah! I am on my way to the Apple Centre to get myself the Bluetooth dongle.

IT WORKS! Yeah... iSync, Add Book, iCal... everything works so smoothly. I even downloaded a T68i conduit and I could drag and drop jpg and turn them into desktop images! Nice one!

Will post pic tomorrow or day after. Love it! Love it!

I got a question though... how do I actually send SMS through Add Book? When a call came in, I could see the "Reply Through SMS" or something like that... but I could not get the SMS function going though. Hmmm...

I really crave for IrDA synch in iSync. I know it's not 'the future', but really the software shouldn't care too much about the hardware control, since both BT and IrDA are supported as serial ports. I want to use my Nokia 6510 with my TiBook 500...

But then again, I'll have a Ericssony P800 and a TiBook 1000 by next Spring, so what do I care? ;)

Yeah man! I like my T68i with BT implementation... but honestly, it is more of a convenient (no wires) and temporarily it is a joy because I dun have to lug that PDA with me.

TiBook 1000? HHmmmm..... tasty.....

For the record, Asia Pacific is always second on Nokia's model introduction roadmap. Europe comes first, since they can prototype and test new models easier when they're "closer to home".

However, new models launch near-simultaneously in the two regions.

I'm not sure about US launches, but I believe those lag behind due to the general weirdness with the network. "Sorry, this model does not work on this operator's network" and so on.

Not to start a flame war... but whether it is near home or not does not really matter. Take the 3210 for example. We saw it on the shelves even before Finland started selling it, and so was 8850. Don't ask me why. My mother was in Finland when I saw the first 8850. Called her to ask her to get one there (hoping that it would be cheaper), and she called back saying I was crazy. There isn't such a model there. Not released yet.

So I am not very sure why. Maybe we were used as guinea pigs to see how many of us will die first due to the radiation emited from the mobile phones. LOL.

ps : I am from Singapore.

The reason why certain models are introduced first in Asia or the US is that some models are geared towards non-European audiences. Certain models from the 8000 family are Europe only (and one of them is Finland only), while other 8000 series phones are Asia only. Meanwhile, one of the 9000s is USA only, due to technical issues.

Back