Apple to incoporate shareware into 10.2?

TommyWillB

Registered
Back in the old days there was Now Utilities that added great things to OS 7. When 7.1 came out Apple had included many of the Now Untilties functions into the OS.

I was reading the do you pay for shareware thread and I was wondering which shareware functionality Apple might be likely to include in fusture OS X's.

I think many of the features of FruitMenu are ripe for Apple to take. (Yes I registered mine.)

What do you think?

What shareware stuff should be incorporated into the OS?

Also, do you feel hesitant to pay for shareware that may be made obsolete by Apple with the next release... either because they include the functionality or because the break it?

I hope that they put a dock menu into System Preferences, along the lines of Dockprefs or Prefling. It obviously wouldn't have the amount of customizability, but it would make it so another utility wouldn't be necessary for such a simple task.

I hope that some functionality of FruitMenu makes it into the OS sometime, but I doubt it will. Those Unsanity haxies bring back old OS9 functionality, and Apple wanted to step away from OS9, not bring back some things. I hope they implement spring-loaded dock folders. That would be nice :)

Hello,

I think a great thing to implement is this:

Clicking the minimize widget minimizes the window into the dock, but double-clicking the title bar will windowshade the window. The best of both worlds, without compromizing either!

Just my 2¢

Apple should add some theme support.

And the preview app should be beefed up. Maybe make it more like GraphicConverter.

ASM... the application switcher needs to come back.

USB overdrive would be nice to have integrated. I like the way preview is now. I have both preview and (paid) Graphic converter on my dock because as slim as it is, Graphic Converter is still bloated for simple pdf viewing.

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
And the preview app should be beefed up. Maybe make it more like GraphicConverter.

No, I dont think so! What will we have GrphicConverter for then? :confused: Its just a preview! :p

Koelling - you have unix underpants?

OK, Fruitmenu and Windowshade, obviously would be cool, but won't happen. What will happen is the compatibility will break.

Maybe one of the XEyes workalikes :)

Or how about random popup windows every couple of hours

Unregistered version!
If you have enjoyed this operating system, please consider buying it via Kagi or PayPal.
{Buy Now} {Later} (system calls will block for _32_ seconds)

Why won't we get windowshade back? I hate it when I want to move something out of the way just for a second, but I need to send it to the stupid dock or drag it out of the way. pain in the butt.

Also apple needs to put in a serial code generator :)

Simply because any new users of Mac OS who have never known the previous behavior of windows collapsing will be confused when double-clicking doesn't minimize a window to the dock anymore.

I have long become used to that behavior and prefer it. For those that don't, the $7 haxie replaces the behavior.

If you really wanted it in the OS, it would have to be a general or finder setting, not set by default.

Originally posted by TommyWillB
He he...

I wonder what the permissions are?

Depends. If he's smart, he'd probably have the permissions set to 700. But if he's a teenager, they might be..

Oh, I'll leave it at that.

chmod 700 but certain people have admin privileges. And there was that one time my friends dared me to moon from the top of the mountain we had climbed but you don't want to hear about that.

I want to be able to close a program by dragging its icon to the trash and I want the ability to close minimized windows by right clicking its icon in the dock.

P.S. In windows when you double click on a title bar, it maximizes not minimizes.

From what I can tell from Apple's Jaguar blurb, Sherlock 3 has bits of Watson already incorporated in it - translation, phone book, package tracking. I was wondering when they would jump on Karelia for it - it's counterintuitive that that a great program with that kind of functionality would be stuck in shareware hell.

Originally posted by TommyWillB
Also, do you feel hesitant to pay for shareware that may be made obsolete by Apple with the next release... either because they include the functionality or because the break it?

Absolutely not, at least things like WindowShade X and FruitMenu. I find $7 for something that has made my life so much better until the time that it might be integrated into the OS is well worth it.

One thing Apple should put in is ClipEdit. Silly Apple.

Good point hazmat.

I always cringe at paying for shareware that I may not use but then I think about other stuff I do pay for.

I buy CD's to support the artist and they cost 15$ even though I've already got the songs on MP3

I go to movies but they are all the same anymore. 8$ plus popcorn AND I wasted 3 hours of my life. (Hi my name is Troy, and I saw Pearl Harbor. Bad Movies Anonymous!)

Why is it that I pay money to do something that I leave thinking I got ripped off yet I use Omniweb 6 hours a day feeling better because of it but I will not lay down the cash for it.

So in hopes that this does not turn into another "Do you pay for Sharware?" thread let me digress. Paying for watson and then getting it for free on Sherlock is not such a bad thing. I got my money's worth and now I get it integrated.

Originally posted by Koelling
So in hopes that this does not turn into another "Do you pay for Sharware?" thread let me digress. Paying for watson and then getting it for free on Sherlock is not such a bad thing. I got my money's worth and now I get it integrated.

Also I think another good point is that if people hadn't payed for things like Watson (never used it myself), it might never have gotten to the point of being worthy of integration to the OS. Shareware money it seems is very good encouragement for the developer to push the product further. People like Unsanity deserve it.

Back