Apple to introduce video iPod

That would be so tight. Think if it was built on Quicktime, which means it would read flash files and could connect to the net with internet access. I could show my video files from it by connecting it to a monitor. Something like that would definitly make me shell out a few big faces.

What would people use a video iPod for?

Unless I can rip dvds and put them on my iPod for playback later, then I see no special reason to have a video ipod. Am I missing something.

Oh great I get to watch short quicktime clips on my ipod.

Someone please help me see the light if I really am in the dark on the meaning of this.

How many average users would use a video iPod? In my opinion I don't see a huge market for such a device. Do people really want to watch movies on a screen maybe slightly larger than that of the current iPod's? Wouldn't watching a video on such a device require the hard drive to be in operation constantly? How long might you expect the battery run time to be?

What do you guys think? I'm really hoping this isn't what Apple has to offer us on Tuesday.

1.) Sync your iPhoto collection with iPod.

2.) Download trailers and watch them on the go. (Ever had to decide with a bunch of friends exactly WHAT movie to go see? Easier with trailers, perhaps.)

3.) iMovie synching. Have your family film album with you any time.

4.) Transform DVDs and DivX to MPEG-4 for your portable viewing pleasure. Connect iPod to a projector or TV set and watch the movies in all their beauty. Guess that's not what Apple will say in their ads, though...

5.) It'll still be an iPod. And an iPod is great.

Originally posted by fryke
1.) Sync your iPhoto collection with iPod.

2.) Download trailers and watch them on the go. (Ever had to decide with a bunch of friends exactly WHAT movie to go see? Easier with trailers, perhaps.)

3.) iMovie synching. Have your family film album with you any time.

4.) Transform DVDs and DivX to MPEG-4 for your portable viewing pleasure. Connect iPod to a projector or TV set and watch the movies in all their beauty. Guess that's not what Apple will say in their ads, though...

5.) It'll still be an iPod. And an iPod is great.

1. If the screen was larger that would be sort of interesting, but I've viewed photo's on small LCDs and they're not really great for showing off your photos since they end up being so small. Not to mention the difficulty you might encounter while trying to easily scan through hundreds and hundreds of photo's on such a small screen. I can't imagine viewing tiny thumb nails of your photo's on a screen the size or slightly larger than that of the current iPods.

2. I really can't see anyone downloading trailers onto their iPods for later viewing, and I don't think Apple would base a new product around the idea. It sounds cool, but doesn't really warrant the development.

3. I can't even see Apple introducing a video iPod to allow you to sync your iMovies. Not everyone listens to MP3's on their Mac, and I bet you that the number of iMovie users is even less than that of iTunes. Neat idea, but in my opinion not enough of a reason to introduce a video iPod.

4. I can't see too many people wanting to watch a full length feature film on such a small screen, the smallest amount of glare could wipe out the whole viewing area. And if you were going to watch it at home or at a friend's place, why not just watch it from the DVD media. Since I can't see Apple releasing software to allow you to rip the DVD and convert it to MPEG-4, how could Apple release a product that would require you to do the ripping if they didn't have the software to RIP the DVD for you.

Other then the fact that the video iPod sounds cool I still can't see any reason for releasing it. Maybe an iPod with an OLED color screen, but I can't see anything else.

If you can hook it up to a TV, obviously you will be near a power source, i think it would be a great way to handle video files. The screen is small, but the possiblity to share like a picture viewer hooked to a TV would be great. Battery life is a major factor, but like i said, most likly a power supply is near. Look at cell phones, they are using video now, and their screens are smaller, so i see it as the direction things are headed.

I really see no need for a video iPod

video files are really big unless compressed

the screen is small

not enough power

all the other stuff mentioned here.

now, what would be great, is if the iPod had a holographic projection screen! unfortunately, it hasn't been invented yet...

Well sure, there's no NEED. There was no NEED for the audio iPod, either.

What if it worked like a Tivo or Replay TV, except with a Mac interface and a built-in display? Suppose it could record your favorite TV programs and then let you watch them anywhere. (On a bus, on a plane, on the john...)

And suppose it would also let you transfer recorded shows to your Mac? I think it could be spiffy.

Granted. Maybe they could bundle it with a pair of those video goggles that make it seem like you're watching a big movie screen. I forget what they're called...

that would be awesome, like incredibly awesome. the only problem of course, would be people walking around bumping into things ;) :p

Originally posted by brianleahy
Granted. Maybe they could bundle it with a pair of those video goggles that make it seem like you're watching a big movie screen. I forget what they're called...
Originally posted by xaqintosh
that would be awesome, like incredibly awesome. the only problem of course, would be people walking around bumping into things ;) :p
LOL...

It is bad enough with cell phone people walking down the street talking to themselves.

In the last couple of years it has become increasingly difficult to differentiate between mumbling homeless people and mumbling folks on cell phones...

Originally posted by brianleahy
Well sure, there's no NEED. There was no NEED for the audio iPod, either.

What if it worked like a Tivo or Replay TV, except with a Mac interface and a built-in display? Suppose it could record your favorite TV programs and then let you watch them anywhere. (On a bus, on a plane, on the john...)

And suppose it would also let you transfer recorded shows to your Mac? I think it could be spiffy.

Here's a potential problem with a portable Tivo like device. When would you want to record programs to the device? I for one would want to record programs to the device when I'm away from home. Now the problem for me would be that I would also want to watch my recorded programs when I'm away from home, else why would you want a portable Tivo like device? So what to do, I want to watch when I'm away but I need to have the portable Tivo hooked up to record them when I'm way.

I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Back