Apple to introduce video iPod

does anyone else watch techTV???

there is already something like it
It is calledArchos which is also the name of the company.
it sells for the price of a 20G iPod (with 20gigs) and offers MP4 video. it can be played to a tv, but you lose a lot of quality anyways apple would probably do something like this

Jepp. Like a little video you load-up at your computer, and then go to your neighbour or friends house, connect to his/her tv (just like you could connect to the stereo before) and watch the films. 20 or 40 gb could handle quite a lot movies with the right compression.

It's an interesting concept. However, most people don't have video cameras. So how do you get interesting-to-watch movies in there?

The only way it could trigger interest is if it allowed you to record shows DIRECTLY from your TV and allowed you to play them back later on that device.

As other readers pointed out above, there is little interest in paying for a new device just for the playback of Quick-time movies you would download from the Internet or even make in iMovie: A $999 iBook would allow you to do that just fine, as is, on a 13" screen.

So really, the only way is if this new Video iPod sits next to your TV, allows you to record a show to MPEG4 via QuickTime with the push of a button, then can be un-hooked and you can play it back at your leisure while going to work.

imagine the uses: You record CNN in the morning, while taking care of the kids, and you watch it in the Subway on your way to work ...

Obviously you can then hook it up to your Mac and it would sync up and put your Movies on your Mac and let you choose which ones you want to store.

The playback capability would have to be at least a couple of hours so that you can see a full-movie...

Because it somewhat replaces a movie-recording device such as a VCR or a TiVo, it would be worth quite something.

The devide could even be in 2 pieces: the one that sits next to your TV and allows recording, and the storage and mobile section, which can be taken on the road and hooked to your Mac.

That would make a difference and be worth a few $$$...

Any thoughts?

Talk of a new device that's being called iPod 2 (or whatever rumors sites have called it) really upsets me. I would be very sad if the iPod loses the spotlight for a device that quite frankly doesn't make much sense. If this device comes out, will they stop improving the iPod? I really want to see aac audio for iTunes/iPod this Tuesday. I think if such a device were to be released, it should be in a seperate catagory of digital devices and not an iPod replacement. If a device like this came out and they still touted the iPod as the best audio player and the new device wasn't made to replace the iPod, then I think it'd be better off that way. What if the new device failed? What would happen? Bring back the replaced iPod? Only time will tell though. Later

-Ryan

nobody ever said a) that the 'old' iPod would have to go away or b) that the new iPod wouldn't also play MP3s (or AACs), right?

I don't think we are going to see this video iPod at all. If I remember correctly it was the Reuters article titled "Apple seen unveiling video iPod at Macworld expo" posted here http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030103/tech_apple_1.html that seemed to sper on the whole video iPod device idea to start with.

A quote from the Reuters article has become the basis for the video iPod: "Apple (NasdaqNM:AAPL - News) is -- as always -- tight-lipped about its plans, but it may unveil a version of its popular iPod music player that will play movies, said analyst Rob Enderle of Giga Information Group."

I did a little searching around the net and found many references to Rob Enderle of Giga Information Group. He has been quoted as being a quote mill, only too happy to provide quotes on topics he really knows nothing about. Check out http://scriptingnews.userland.com/stories/storyReader$1541 to see what some have to say about him.

Enderle also had this to say about the SpyMac iWalk hoax: "A new PDA, called the iWalk by sources close to Apple, also seems likely, although such a device might be a Palm variant, Enderle said. " -- Taken from here: http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/printer/15616/ also check out some of Enderle's comments in this MacObserver article here http://www.macobserver.com/columns/thebackpage/2002/20020829.shtml .

They are mentioning the same thing, a video iPod but the size of a Newton.

I think Apple would be stupid to get rid of the iPod. There are too many people who like to carry their tunes around. At the same time, there are many people who like their movies and would like to take them around.

I mentioned something like this last fall and got the same response of "It would never fly."

I think there is a market for it, especially if it could plug into a TV for viewing. Why not carry your homevideos to the 'rents so they can watch your kids having fun on vacation. This device could not lack anything that the iPod has. This has to be a next generation. I know for myself, it would be great to whip out a video iPod and watch a ripped version of "O Brother where art thou" while the wife is shopping or my father in law is talking to me about wine.

I could see a small tablet like device that had the ability to play videos, but also had a Stylus for taking notes, let you keep track of contacts, acted as a small portable computer basically.

But a video iPod that plays video and music, I don't think that will happen.

Back