Apple to Ship Mac OS X “Tiger” on April 29

bobw

The Late: SuperMacMod
Apple to Ship Mac OS X “Tiger” on April 29

Mac OS X v10.4 “Tiger” will go on sale Friday, April 29, at 6:00 p.m. during special events at Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Tiger has more than 200 new features and innovations including Spotlight, a revolutionary desktop search technology that lets users instantly find anything stored on their Mac, including documents, emails, contacts and images; and Dashboard, a new way to quickly access important information like weather forecasts and stock quotes, using a dazzling new class of applications called widgets.

I notice that Tiger is shipped only on DVD and not on CDs. The Tiger Media Exchange program does not seem to apply outside the USA. That means that all European inhabitants that do not have a DVD drive are now forced to buy a new computer to install Tiger. This I find absurd. I hope buying an external DVD drive is a solution but I am not sure at all that the install-DVD will accept such external drive for the installation. I don't understand why Apple doesn't just bring out Tiger also in CD-form (for some little extra price). Now Apple gives many people a headack and lots of unnecessary problems. Not good for its reputation :-(

1. It's the same here in America, buddy ;)

2. I'm fairly sure that you can ask Apple to exchange the DVD for a CD version.

I dont see why it wont let you install from a External DVD drive, if you can boot your whole OS from a external disk (or your ipod) then you can install from a external volume.

I am sure they will have a solution for those with cd-rom drives. I suppose they figure most people running this software will have a dvd drive, which was standard on most the machines they have shipped in the last 4 years. I am very glad its on DVD (however understand where your coming from).

When it comes time to buy it ask your apple centre for more infomation.

It is stated in the Tiger Media Exchange form that this program will only apply to the USA or Canada. This suggests that as a European inhabitant I cannot simply obtain the CDs using this Exchange program. I asked this question to AppleStore in Europe and currently they are now investigating this issue.

If you have a Mac which cannot read DVDs, there are two ways you can go.

1.) Apple Exchange Programme. Should Apple not offer it for your country, choose the next option.

2.) Get an external FireWire DVD-drive. Usually, those are capable of booting. But before you shell out the money, maybe you can rent one or use a friend's FW DVD drive.

Doesn't mean you actually have to buy anything. Maybe a beer for that friend with the DVD drive...

Or if you have a friend who has an internal DVD drive you can use FireWire Target Disk Mode to install it onto your computer (all you need is FireWire cable, computer, and keyboard :)

So, can anyone recommend a good external DVD drive that will work on Blue+White G3s, G3 iMacs, G4s, and G5s? It looks like none of the iMacs have firewire, so where does that leave me?
If I have to buy more than one DVD drive I am not going to be amused. One's fair enough and will be useful thereafter, but really.....
I can see a whole lot of imaging and copying startup disks in my future.

MCE sells internal Combo drives for both the tray-loading and slot-loading iMac G3s. A bit pricey, but guaranteed to work and be bootable (a requirement for installing the OS, of course.) They are also very quiet; if you are still using one of the early iMacs, your CD-ROM drive is probably grinding noisily to a halt by now (if it hasn't already done so) and this is a good excuse to replace it. ;) :)

"It looks like none of the iMacs have firewire, so where does that leave me?"

Not sure if you meant this comment as typed. iMacs have had firewire for quite some time, I believe even going back to the midpoint of the G3's.

fryke said:
If you have a Mac which cannot read DVDs, there...

Is Steve Jobs just thumbing his nose at Mac Users that don't have DVDs (assume super drive), or what?

Regards,
Adonsa

It'd be cheaper for Apple to send out DVDs instead of 3 or 4 CDs (including the developer tools CD). This caters to the majority of Macs in service now while their exchange program lets you get Tiger on CDs easilly enough.

Captain Code said:
It'd be cheaper for Apple to send out DVDs instead of 3 or 4 CDs (including the developer tools CD). This caters to the majority of Macs in service now while their exchange program lets you get Tiger on CDs easilly enough.

OK, I found it. CD Drive users will have to go to
http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/
download the PDF form, then fill out the form send em $10 mail it to Apple and wait for the CDs. Then they damn sure won't get upgraded on Apr 29, more like a week or so later. What a knee jerk.

Apple should allow specification of type media upon ordering in the first place.

Seems more cost effective in the long run to get the $75 internal OWC DVD Pioneer internal.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Well I am now officially quite cross about the whole media exchange thing. :mad:
I have two ibooks with cd-rom drives and an imac with dvd. is there any way to use the dvd drive on the imac as an external drive? i've worked out how to do the whole firewire target thing which lets me access the hard drive of the imac on the ibooks, but not any of the media (like cds or dvds).
Any advice? I really don't fancy hanging around and doing the media exchange thing.
Cheers

Taken from a previous answer;

What you need to do is find a FireWire cable, and connect one end from your iBook to your other Mac. Then, restart your iBook, and right after you select Restart in the Finder, hold the "t" key on your keyboard. The iBook will boot into FireWire Target Disk Mode. This allows the other Mac to see your iBook's hard drive as if it was an external FireWire hard drive connected to that computer. Then, on your other Mac, restart into the Mac OS X installer, and it will let you choose the iBook's hard drive to install 10.3 on.

Back