Apple TV vs. Mac Mini

alra111

Registered
For simple streaming of music and video from my main iMac in the bedroom to my entertainment center in the living room wirelessly, could I get all the functionality--and perhaps more--by placing a Mac Mini in the living room (and connecting it to the home network) instead of an Apple TV?

Would I be missing out on any features by doing it this way?

Is it more complicated?

Thanks,
Alra111

Well, I heard the front row in Leopard is almost the same as the AppleTV, although the Mac Mini doesn't have dedicated VRAM, I like it because It can play avi files and other kinds, also I can just pop in a DVD. I'm not sure that you can get a DVI to Component, adapter, but there is boxes that you can buy that will do that, so I see using a Mac Mini as a gain.

Well, I heard the front row in Leopard is almost the same as the AppleTV, although the Mac Mini doesn't have dedicated VRAM, I like it because It can play avi files and other kinds, also I can just pop in a DVD. I'm not sure that you can get a DVI to Component, adapter, but there is boxes that you can buy that will do that, so I see using a Mac Mini as a gain.

Dedicated VRAM--can you briefly describe the benefit of this...this is to speed up video playback or to help streaming?

I do know there is DVI-to-HDMI cable or at least adapter--HDMI would be the connection I would be using.

Thanks for your help,
Alra111

For what it is worth, I use both. My Mac mini with a wireless keyboard and mouse works great for the kids to play online games. I store all my MP3's on it, and some choice kids shows so they are always available. It is hooked up to my entertainment center and I have Rotel 1098 processor which sports a small TFT screen...it works great with front row. I can navigate my playlists without a TV or monitor. My AppleTV is in another room then syncs to the mini. I use remote desktop to purchase content online. It works well, because I can use the content in two rooms.

Also another thing to consider is using a desktop for storing content and have the AppleTV pull content from it. The Mac mini drives are relatively small, so if you plan on moving into video, the mini is going to run out of room quickly...or have to hook up an external drive.

Back