Apple wants to keep me from buying a PB...

doemel

Mac addict since 1993
OK, here's the full story:

I would like to buy a 1GHz PowerBook with a Combo drive instead of the Superdrive. So far so good, you can get that from Apple directly from their online store. But... I am from Switzerland, staying in Canada at the moment. I don't want that PB from the Swiss Apple online store because I want the US keyboard. So that option is ruled out. OK, there's an Apple online store in Canada, too. But... they don't accept credit cards from outside of Canada :)mad: as if my MasterCard wasn't good enough for them...). OK, last option I found: There's actually companies in the US selling the BTO PowerBook as I want it. But they are not allowed to ship ouside the US (Apple policy)!
This is how I have reached the conclusion that Apple doesn't want me to buy the PowerBook that I want! I mean, come one, there's gotta be a way! It can't be that hard, can it?
Does anyone here know any other option I haven't tried yet? There's no Apple Store in Canada yet unfortunately (it's about friggin' time they open some outside the US!).

Originally posted by CheesePuff
This doesn't help - but I just purchased a PowerBook G4 1 GHz with ComboDrive from MacZone (www.maczone.com) and they called it a BTO purchase, but they already had many in stock.

Thanks for the hint, but that's actually what I already did in my "last option" (see original post). MacZone doesn't ship at all outside the US according to their policies :(

you have any friends in the US? If so thne the money (plus S&H twice) and get it that way

also, can't you chose an english keybord someware on there??? YES :::just looked::: under OS and Keybord you can choose international english!!! (did that help any?)

Originally posted by Jet
also, can't you chose an english keybord someware on there??? YES :::just looked::: under OS and Keybord you can choose international english!!! (did that help any?)

I might be mistaken but I strongly believe this option refers to the OS only. They write "local" in brackets after "Tastatur" (keyboard) if you choose the int'l english version on the Swiss Apple online store. I know OS X comes for different languages on the same CDs but OS 9 doesn't. And that particular PB model might not be available anymore when I get back to Switzerland. Since Apple tends towards Superdrives now I don't want to risk not being able to get my hands on one of those Combo drives (one reason being the region hacked firmware available for that drive). And I really want to replace my good old Wallstreet workhorse now.
I might just try to find a reliable person in the US that's willing to verify and re-route the PB for me... But first I'll call Apple's online store and try to convince them that my CC is as good as it gets and well covered, too.

There is an online store that sells just the keyboards for powerbooks and iBooks. Don't know if they have keys for new models though. I learned from the from appleturns.com, try seraching their archive for 'missing key'. I'll try to find it and post here too.

Doemel....one thing you can do, is get someone in Canada to buy it from Apple Canada (in Markham, Ontario btw). Then just pay them back. Or, sneak accross the border....go to the apple store and bring it back into Canada. hehe

Just remember that they're pretty powerful machines! There are laws against exporting supercomputers. *l* Fortunately Switzerland is friendly. :->

That's what I intend to do. But first I'll try to get them to accept my credit card. ***Anyone got any experience in turboing at the Apple online store?*** If that doesn't help I'll try to get one at the Apple store in Buffalo. Bit since I'm here with a work permit which imposes certain limitations (and because border officials have become less easy to deal with since 9/11) I'm not sure if I am allowed to make a short trip to the U.S. (I live quite close, Burlington ON, to be precise). And then there's the hassle of first paying sales tax in the U.S. and again paying custom fees in Canada... Last option would of course be to find someone to buy it for me. But then again the whole convenience of paying by credit card will be impossible. Cash withdrawal using a CC abroad can be quite pricey in my experience!

A propos exporting supercomputers: Apple says on their website that you can't export anything bought from the Apple online store. As far as PowerBooks, iBooks and iPods are concerned that must be a joke: These devices are PORTABLE for heaven's sake! And plus you can get pretty much the same machine about everywhere in the world!

Originally posted by OmegaMan
Doemel....one thing you can do, is get someone in Canada to buy it from Apple Canada (in Markham, Ontario btw). Then just pay them back. Or, sneak accross the border....go to the apple store and bring it back into Canada. hehe

Just remember that they're pretty powerful machines! There are laws against exporting supercomputers. *l* Fortunately Switzerland is friendly. :->

OK, I think I owe you guys a follow-up on this story: After my frustrating experience at Apple I decided to do what I did to get my Wallstreet that I have sent to retirement now: I searched on eBay. After a few days I came across an irresistable deal: A brand new, sealed 867 MHz PowerBook with 256MB/40GB and the Combo drive I want for a mere USD 1950. I closed the deal using buy-it-now. The payment through PayPal went as smooth as it could, the seller shippes about a week after the bid was closed. Unfortunately he didn't double check the address and sent it to the wrong house number (one that doesn't exist AFAIK). Of course the parcel bounced after sitting at the customs clearance company for 2 weeks. The seller immediately reshipped the parcel and I finally got it Tuesday night. The box was still sealed, everything in perfect condition, no bad pixels on the screen. I am very happy I went that way and I am confident that I'll choose eBay over retail, again. It's a good alternative for someone like me who needs to save money (I'm still a student!) and buys internationally with certain credit card "issues" (Apple couldn't check if my card was covered, not sure if it's a banking problem since obviously PayPal could).
Thanks for the tips.

Glad to hear you got it worked out and hope it's what you wanted.
I was going to suggest withdraw cash on your credit card via ATM and pay for your P'Book with cash. Although Canada stores may not readily accept Canadian $$ these days. :p

The problem with cash withrawal using a credit cards abroad is the fees involved are ridiculously high. Using a CC to buy something involves much lower fees.
I mean, the CC business has to be profitable, right? It's basically a rip-off in my opinion, but what can you do...

I don't know what services are in your town, but many banks will allow you to withdraw cash on your credit card and you have the same rate as a credit card rather than the fee charged for a cash advance via ATM. Many money exchangers will do the same. Might want to check at the airport next time you're there if something like this happens again.

Originally posted by doemel
The problem with cash withrawal using a credit cards abroad is the fees involved are ridiculously high. Using a CC to buy something involves much lower fees.
I mean, the CC business has to be profitable, right? It's basically a rip-off in my opinion, but what can you do...

Funny, at least in the case of a debit card where you do not have the cash advance fee the ATM is the absolute best value for transferring money. At least it was for me.

Going through a bank was always bad because they got you comming and going. There is a fee you pay for the transfer and then I had to pay a second fee to convert the currency. The last time I did that in Europe [god that was almost 8 years ago I am getting old :( ] it cost about $20 in fees and about 4% in the exchange rate. Cashing a check was the same or worse.

Using my debit card there was no fee for a withdrawl and they did not fudge the exchange rate like the banks and currency exchange places did. The only problem was that I could only get about $300 dollars a day so the one time I needed to get 10000 FMK out I had to make several trips over a number of days.

Come to think of it is was cheaper to use my ATM card in Europe than at a competing bank stateside.

Go Figure...:rolleyes:

-Eric

Same here, lurk when I went to Australia. Was cheaper to pull money out there than down the street here in the States. How sad is that? LOL However, I had no problems using my check card there as a credit card either.

Back