!! Apple website defaced !!

This isn't the IDN spoof. Check the page source, and try entering the supposed URL by hand in the address bar.

If apple.pt really is in fact Apple's Portugal site and not a mockup, then yes, it would appear the page was defaced. I'm not getting any useful whois information on the domain name, unfortunately.

Not conclusive but I fell back on old reliable and googled for "Apple Portugal" and www.apple.com.pt was the first link. Search for "Apple Portugal Airport" and it goes to the defaced page. So yes, the Portugal Apple site seems to have a vandal.

EDIT: Also, in order for it to be a spoofed link Tetano would need to be the malicious party, which hardly seems likely.

Hm. On the other hand, apple.com.pt being the only Apple site with a banner in the favicon... Dunno... Well: Has anyone informed Apple? Got a response? :)

fryke said:
Hm. On the other hand, apple.com.pt being the only Apple site with a banner in the favicon... Dunno... Well: Has anyone informed Apple? Got a response? :)
I'm not really able to say whether or not this was a genuine security breach but, in case it was (and therefore needed rapid attention), I did send a message to Apple about it using their feedback page. No response, though, as I expected.

If this is for real, it unnerves me a little, but I guess nothing is invulnerable!

i have been doing a bunch of whois searches and i am not seeing anything in relation to apple....

Interesting that they just did the airport page - perhaps they figured it would be up longer, as it would take longer to be noticed.

Wouldn't apple know if one of their sites had been hacked, and taken it down a long time ago? I think it's a spoof. :cool:

I don't think this even is an Apple site. Just go to www.apple.com and look for any link to the Portugal site. Portugal is not in the list. Hence, this is not an actual Apple site.

It would also explain why the site is slow to load, especially on certain pages.

So, who pointed you to this link to begin with anyway?

symphonix said:
I don't think this even is an Apple site. Just go to www.apple.com and look for any link to the Portugal site. Portugal is not in the list. Hence, this is not an actual Apple site.

You mean like this one? http://www.apple.com/euro/

It is a real Apple site, of that I have little doubt so let us end that line of argument.

1) There is a link to it from the main Apple website.
2) It uses all of the current Apple graphics and layout, not counting the one page. That is a lot of work.
3) It has a copyright for Apple at the bottom, not something a spoof site can legally do.
4) Heck, the Ausralian website is www.apple.com.au, are we going to argue that is fake as well? (Link to it in the same dropdown as above.)

So one of the regional sites got hacked, it happens. The only thing I find amazing is how long it has remained defaced.

Yes, the Apple Australia site is www.apple.com.au, but you'll find that Australia is linked off the main Apple page at www.apple.com. Portugal on the other hand is not.

Anyone else wonder about the strange Favicon? The fact that the store section of the site is "down briefly" for updates? The fact that some of the links don't match (such as the Apple-Home button on the store page)? Just look at the page source if you're still not convinced, and you'll see that apple.com is constructed with completely different coding using WebObjects, while apple.com.pt uses JavaScript to do the same things. Metadata is missing from the source, too.

Still not convinced, browse to any of the product pages, and view source. You'll find the site is pulling the CSS stylesheets from Apple UK & Ireland's servers to render the page.

I'm convinced this is some group of hopeless wannabes that want to gain hacker-points for hacking Apple's site, but since they couldn't do it, they faked it.

Hmmm, it looks genuine...

I sent another message, this time to Apple (Portugal) directly and I just received this reply:

Apple said:
Thanks for your warning, the problem has been corrected and we're seeing if there's other problems with the site.

Regards

[name removed]

[name removed]
Pre Sales Mgr.

Back