Apple Will Offer Parts and Tools for DIY Repairs

Holy iFitIt Batman!!! If Apple is serious about this and it really does happen, I bet this becomes the norm. The amount of waste because of the closed nature of platforms is staggering. Sure they can make money with new items but they can also make money with parts AND keep customers based simply on the idea that I can replace my Apple Watch battery myself. PC owners take a huge amount of pride (shamefully -- but they do) in the amount of self abuse and torture they endure because they can come to work on Monday and bitch that their entire weekend was destroyed by their crappy PC but "THEY FIXED IT". Mental disease and all.

I've done many of my own for years. Batteries; keyboards; fans; hard drives.
Parts have been available thanks to Other World, iFixit, Powerbook Medic, etc.

I've done many of my own for years. Batteries; keyboards; fans; hard drives.
Parts have been available thanks to Other World, iFixit, Powerbook Medic, etc.
I have too... but its a perception thing and an attitude thing. Indeed, I "trust" Apple because of the public image. It is hard for me to remember that they are likely no different than FB or Google but their public image of putting "my security" first is hard to completely ignore.

There was a time (using the wayback machine) that we could replace and repair our own machines (me included). It was easy to get the parts needed. But then Apple curbed the availability of certain parts. You could not get some parts unless you were an authorized repairperson or you had to have your machine shipped to Apple. Then they stopped authorizing repair shops and curtailed what the repair shops could and could not do. They even went so far as to make their devices so you could not open them without breaking a part unless you had their very special tool.

This latest decision is a big turn around.

Dribbling off topic a little, when I was high school / college age -- around the time the 8080 and Z80 was the talk of the town, chip manufacturers use to load you up with data books for free. They wanted you to learn and know all about their products. Now days, you need to sign NDA agreements to get the data sheets. Some paranoid idiot got hold of the control stick. Totally nuts to me.

Dribbling off topic a little, when I was high school / college age -- around the time the 8080 and Z80 was the talk of the town, chip manufacturers use to load you up with data books for free. They wanted you to learn and know all about their products. Now days, you need to sign NDA agreements to get the data sheets. Some paranoid idiot got hold of the control stick. Totally nuts to me.
Most product datasheets are still available for free on Internet. This is different for custom devices. What they used to provide and that we do not get anymore are full schematics. Even the Apple II was provided with its full schematics (which allowed me to build custom joysticks).

Back