Apple Wireless Mouse

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I'm considering purchasing the Apple Wireless Mouse (the white one that matches the iBooks). Does anyone here own one or have you had experience with one? Share your thoughts/comments...

P.S. I've been looking at pictures and reading specs online and I don't see any USB thing on the mouse. How does it work/connect with the iBook? Most wireless mice that I've seen have a USB receiver (or whatever it's called) that sticks into the USB port on the iBook and that's how the mouse gets the signal. Where is it on the white Apple Wireless Mouse???

Update: Well, I guess the decision has been made for me already by Apple. I was reading on Apple's Web site about how to use the Apple Wireless Mouse, and this is what it says:

"Use a Wired USB Keyboard and Mouse During Setup:

During the setup process, you'll need to use a USB mouse before the Apple Wireless Mouse can work. Keep a USB mouse connected to the computer until you've completed setting up the Apple Wireless Mouse. After setup is complete, you can disconnect the USB mouse."

And since I don't *have* a wired USB mouse, I guess I won't be buying an Apple Wireless Mouse. Jeez! That's crazy. :(

Another update: I can't use the Apple Wireless Mouse. It uses Bluetooth, which I don't have. So, never mind.

Yep. And you _could_ have used the TrackPad, of course. I guess they're referring to desktop Macs when talking about the USB mouse... You could still get an extra Bluetooth USB module, of course. Most of them - even the cheap ones - work just fine with our Macs. (But make sure you could give it back in case it _doesn't_ work...) I've bought a very cheap one here in Switzerland for my gf's iBook G3/800, and it works fine. She now even regularly synchs her mobile phone. (I'm proud of her.) ;)

If you have your heart set on the Apple Bluetooth mouse, you could always just purchase a little Bluetooth adapter seperately. D-link makes a good one:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=34

Not only would you be able to use Apple's wireless mouse with your iBook, but ANY Bluetooth-enable product, such as keyboard, phone, or headset.

While I love the look of the Apple Wireless Mouse (it matches my iBook :D), a scroll wheel on a wireless mouse is an important feature to me. And since Apple's doesn't have one, I ruled that one out. Just a couple hours ago, I bought a Kensington PocketMouse, complete with a scroll wheel and other features. So far, I like it. :)

You know, this is good to know since I was thinking of redoing my iMac G5 from scratch and I have both the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. To think that if I formatted the drive I wouldn't be able to use it unless I had a USB keyboard or mouse. Thankfully, I do have a USB mouse so I could at least point and click my way through the installation for the BT keyboard and mouse. :p

I think they should make the installer search for BT keyboards/mice if it recognises that no USB input devices are present. I mean: I can imagine people selling their USB-keyboard and mouse to users of older Macs or notebooks (which don't come with an external mouse/keyboard). And if they have to re-install, they should be able to do so without those devices... Heck: The Mac mini doesn't even _come_ with those devices, right? Or does the package include a Mighty Mouse?

fryke said:
I think they should make the installer search for BT keyboards/mice if it recognises that no USB input devices are present. I mean: I can imagine people selling their USB-keyboard and mouse to users of older Macs or notebooks (which don't come with an external mouse/keyboard). And if they have to re-install, they should be able to do so without those devices... Heck: The Mac mini doesn't even _come_ with those devices, right? Or does the package include a Mighty Mouse?
I seriously doubt the Mac Mini comes with a Mighty Mouse. In fact, I don't think it comes with *anything*. I'd be very surprised if it did. I love Apple, but damn, they're stingy bastards. Heck, the iPod Nano doesn't even come with a frickin' charger/power adaptor.

I got a the wireless mouse with my G5 but find it so heavy to use that it is now tucked up in my desk drawer. I have got a bit of RSI in my shoulder and found this really exacerbated it. I'll maybe use it as a remote control if I want to do a dvd or presentation show to others. I'm using a Dell scroll wheel mouse and really like it so will probably get a Mightymouse simply because it matches the G5.

rosie-red said:
I got a the wireless mouse with my G5 but find it so heavy to use that it is now tucked up in my desk drawer. I have got a bit of RSI in my shoulder and found this really exacerbated it. I'll maybe use it as a remote control if I want to do a dvd or presentation show to others. I'm using a Dell scroll wheel mouse and really like it so will probably get a Mightymouse simply because it matches the G5.

I noticed the extra weight of the wireless mouse as well. I finally got used to it, but it does get cumbersome at times. Of course, until Apple comes out with a less-heavy wireless mouse this is going to have to do. Yeah, I guess getting a third party wireless option like from Logitech would be better, but since I have this that I ordered with my iMac I might as use it as best I can.

Amie said:
See, if you guys worked out, you could handle the weight of the mouse. ;)

LOL...Trust me, I have two kids that give me enough of a workout....that's probably why I CAN'T lift the mouse. :p

nixgeek said:
I noticed the extra weight of the wireless mouse as well. I finally got used to it, but it does get cumbersome at times.

I've got both the Bluetooth mouse and the USB one and I actually like the "heft" of the Bluetooth one. One thing though, I stick with the lithium batteries because they're a lot lighter than anything else.

nixgeek said:
LOL...Trust me, I have two kids that give me enough of a workout....that's probably why I CAN'T lift the mouse. :p
So whaddya waitin' for? Get ta BENCH pressin' those kiddies! ;)

The Apple Wireless Mouse would've been perfect for me. And it looks soooo good next to my iBook. But, alas, it has no scroll wheel. It wasn't meant to be. *sigh*

Amie said:
So whaddya waitin' for? Get ta BENCH pressin' those kiddies! ;)

Get ta bench-pressin'? Heck I'm practically juggling them now! ::ha::

Actually, the little one loves the wireless mouse. I'm constantly chasing him down trying to get the mouse off of his grubby little hands....he just LOVES the flashing light! :p

nixgeek said:
Get ta bench-pressin'? Heck I'm practically juggling them now! ::ha::

Actually, the little one loves the wireless mouse. I'm constantly chasing him down trying to get the mouse off of his grubby little hands....he just LOVES the flashing light! :p
Flashing lights? Juggling? Sounds like a recipe for dizziness! ;)

Actually, one of the features I love about my Kensington PocketMouse is the battery-saving feature. You can turn it completely off when you're not using it. That way, if it gets bumped or jostled in my laptop carrying case, it won't activate and turn on and waste the battery. It's really a very nice little mouse.

Oh, and did I mention ... it has a scroll wheel. :D

Amie said:
Flashing lights? Juggling? Sounds like a recipe for dizziness! ;)

Actually, one of the features I love about my Kensington PocketMouse is the battery-saving feature. You can turn it completely off when you're not using it. That way, if it gets bumped or jostled in my laptop carrying case, it won't activate and turn on and waste the battery. It's really a very nice little mouse.

Oh, and did I mention ... it has a scroll wheel. :D

The scroll wheel is the only thing I'm missing from that mouse. Other than that, I have no problems with the Apple wireless mouse. I've actually even gotten used to the heaviness but it does get annoying as I mentioned before

Still juggling... :p

Back