Apple X11 server beta out

Here's what it's telling me:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
system-xfree86
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/2152B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
(Reading database ... 3700 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking system-xfree86 (from .../system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
E: Sub-process /sw/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hope this helps

--Jason

I really wish quartz-wm would have the option of using non-Aqua window dressing. No X11 apps will ever behave like an Aqua app, having them appear like Aqua only makes the interface confusing.

Back to the slower Oroborus I guess :mad:

Originally posted by Lazarus18
Any idea where it looks at startup? For example what tells it to load one xterm? How can I change that and change the default colors?

I wondered about that, too, so I examined the "X11Config.pkg" as given within the whole installation package and I found out that it is so far just a type-o which simply installs a blank file into your tmp directory. Hence there aren't yet any fancy configuration files. (But as the existence of the config-package suggests, there are files to be found in later versions...)

I assume, the startup of the xterm is hard-coded into the "quartz-wm" binary (the windowmanager as such), so that you can automatically launch apps from the xterm.

I also found a few general information in /usr/X11R6/README, not much anyhow, except for the fact, that Apple provides a script to run X11-Apps from your Terminal.app. The script's located in /usr/bin/open-X11. Anyways, I would recommend to simply add 'setenv DISPLAY :0.0' to your ~/.cshrc and then you don't need the extra script...

These are my two cents, so far. I'm now working with it for half an hour and it's quite impressing, although I'm having trouble changing the keymap. That's my old everlasting problem with MacOSX, in Aqua I have the correct keymap and if I run a shell other than in the Terminal.app, it gives me the wrong keymap and I cannot adjust. Haven't found anything useful about this issue... :D

Alright, I just saw btoneill's post that appeared while I was typing, forget my about the hard-coding ;) The rest still fits...

Originally posted by Koelling
btoneill, I love you.

I had problems with not seeing any aqua window manager thingie. Aparently it was because I already had an .xinitrc which didn't have that quartz-wm command. Now it works great.

Can I share the love here for btoneill too? He answered the exact question I was coming here for today! Apple should hire YOU to write technical information on their site!

P.S. Using btoneill's .xinitrc also seems to result in making X11 somewhat dual dislpay aware - no longer do I have apps opening up (like Gimp) in the middle of my two monitors.

Originally posted by karavite
Can I share the love here for btoneill too? He answered the exact question I was coming here for today! Apple should hire YOU to write technical information on their site!

Hey, I only have so much love to share ;)
Not sure if I could deal with living in Cali and working for jkh ;) (if you have clue no who jkh is, don't worry about it, and j/k jordy if you ever read this forum) They also probably wouldn't pay me enough :)

Brian

Btoneill, do you know what jkh is specifically doing at Apple? Since he left 'his' project behind, I haven't heard anything about him...

Originally posted by Eckhart
Btoneill, do you know what jkh is specifically doing at Apple? Since he left 'his' project behind, I haven't heard anything about him...

His role is now overseeing development of Darwin and increasing Apples participation in open source groups. So basically it appears he kinda has his hands in all the unix side of development.

Brian

Originally posted by btoneill
Hey, I only have so much love to share ;)
Not sure if I could deal with living in Cali and working for jkh ;) (if you have clue no who jkh is, don't worry about it, and j/k jordy if you ever read this forum) They also probably wouldn't pay me enough :)

Brian

Ah, I think I understand. When will people learn that being a boss or manager does not = being a jerk? Perhaps when they face their own insecurity in being a boss?

I have had some fantastic bosses and many more less so. The best are always those who are comfortable with their position, skills, background... and this seems to result in them being supportive and acknowledging everyone elses contributions.

Any way, we still love you here! ;)

Wow, this is fast. I've never installed X11 on OS X before, and this was really a no-nonsense install. Window resizing is really fast, ie. what it should be! If only it was as fast in Aqua... :(

Back