Apple

didde

Registered
.. Today I received by PowerMac G4 2x867 from the AppleStore.

I have to say I am incredibly impressed by Apple (once again). Right out of the box I was ready to go within 15 minutes.

The performance is unbelivable (!).. And 10.2 is smooth like a baby with Quartz Extreme. The graphics card in it is the GeForce Ti 4600 and I love it..

Just love these moments when I feel so good about choosing Apple, not Wintel.

Nice one Apple!

Congratulations. At work they told me to pick out a laptop. I want an Apple so badly, but it has to be Windows-based. I don't like any of the PC laptops. Either they are too big and heavy, or don't have an internal cdrom drive. How is it that Apple can make such a nice elegant thin laptop that has an internal drive, yet all the PC ones have to have external if they are thin?

Originally posted by kommakazi
How about a TiBook with VirtualPC?:D

Not a bad idea at all. But we can't do it. Has to be a PC variant. So where was that OS X for x86? ;-)

Hmm, I do have a copy of Rhapsody for x86, not that I think it would run on the newer hardware....

There are Wintel notebooks with style. You just won't find them at Dell or Compaq/HP. I don't want to turn everybody into FromAppleToWintel-Switchers, but if you go and look at what Sony, Panasonic, Asus or Fujitsu-Siemens have to offer, you might just find what you need (because you can't choose a Mac, that is).

For example, check out this one: http://www.asus.com.tw/notebook/l1000b/overview.htm Asus' L1 line may cover what you need.

Or take a look at this one: http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.jsp?hierc=9683x7018x9134&catid=9134&itemid=40694&viewall=true This is Sony's combination of a slim notebook with a coveron-dock. This isn't too bad, because you can decide how much you want to take with you.

Also, don't forget about Toshiba, they make great notebooks, too.

The most important thing is to remind yourself that there is CHOICE in the Wintel world. Apple might have essentially all of what you want - and it's like that for me - but in the Wintel world, if one product doesn't fit you, try to find the best you can.

Thanks, Fryke. Toshiba mostly have the pencil erase mice, which I hate. The Sonys, at least the light ones like you pointed me to, need another module for the cdrom drive. I don't want extra stuff. The Asus actually looks nice, but that model doesn't seem to be available in the US. The M2 looks nice, though. I can't find any prices around can't see the keyboard layout. Keyboard on a laptop is very important to me.

Originally posted by hazmat
Thanks, Fryke. Toshiba mostly have the pencil erase mice, which I hate. The Sonys, at least the light ones like you pointed me to, need another module for the cdrom drive. I don't want extra stuff. The Asus actually looks nice, but that model doesn't seem to be available in the US. The M2 looks nice, though. I can't find any prices around can't see the keyboard layout. Keyboard on a laptop is very important to me.

Word to the wise about PC-based notebooks: If it doesn't have a Pentium4-M or Pentium III-M, then you are actually buying a piece-o-crap notebook. Some PC manufacturers, in a rush to be be first out with high-speed notebooks, took desktop Pentium 4 CPU's and chip-sets, and plopped them into a note-book form-factor. What they don't realize is that the thermals for the desktop P4 is not as good as the mobile P4 and that this has a direct impact on performance, battery life, and probably durability.

So just be careful. Looks like your going in the right direction, if buying a PC is what you have to do...;)

If it has -any- Pentium, it's crap. Get an Athlon based one. Not a Duron, but an Athlon. Take it from someone whose 1Ghz Athlon is only 10% slower than his 1.6Ghz P4.

Back