Applecare doesn't cover batteries

marz

Master of my Universe
Wow! What a revelation, after reading that others have had their battery replaced and that it was the main reason for buying Applecare, I went to the Apple Store today and was summarily told that my battery isn't covered. :mad: So I spent $349 for Applecare on my Powerbook for .... ???

marz said:
Wow! What a revelation, after reading that others have had their battery replaced and that it was the main reason for buying Applecare, I went to the Apple Store today and was summarily told that my battery isn't covered. :mad: So I spent $349 for Applecare on my Powerbook for .... ???

Did you use your Visa card to buy your Mac? From what I understand Visa will cover your purchase for an extra year after you bought it. That includes batteries. You can also get an extended warranty thru Visa.I called Visa and for about $275 I can get an warranty on my powerbook for 4 years.
Here's a link to Visa about it:
https://usa.visa.com/visaWarranty/l...personal/cards/benefits/warranty_manager.html

There's also a tread about this on MacNN. Here's a link to that thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202300

The reason they gave was that batteries are consumables... it's burried in the fine type ... while the main Applecare description type states that the coverage is "Comprehensive".

Miriam-Webster's Dictionary defines "Comprehensive" as follows:

Main Entry: com·pre·hen·sive
Pronunciation: -'hen(t)-siv
Function: adjective
1 : covering completely or broadly : INCLUSIVE <comprehensive examinations> <comprehensive insurance>

Guess I can't take Apple at their word?

It's a perfect analogy. Both are insurances of some form, and neither cover the consumables of a product. Why should we hold one company above the industry standard?

Batteries only have a fixed number of charge/discharge cycles in them so they are consumables. Now sometimes they are covered if they die an untimely death how old is yours? What has the usage pattern been?

As I recall there was also an OS update that was causing the power system to improperly manage the battery subsystem and significantly reduce the lifetime of the batteries in question. I believe some of those people were able to get replacements but don't quote me...

I was able to get a second battery when my first won ran out in a couple months after some brief questioning. I had to send in my old one.

Try calling apple instead of going to the store. Also try getting a 6 year old to call to induce sympathy ;)

On a side note, applecare for ipods covers the battery, but only if you can prove it has lost MORE than 50% of it's charge.

Mz batterz of iBook at some point dropped the charge from 95 % to 0 %, so the usage was 15 minutes and less. It was covered in the normal warranty.

How long have you had the #book? How much less does the battery last? Did you prove it to them, e.g. with X´Charge graphics?

No, dllozd, I#m on a german housemate#s peecee with a german kezboard. z and y are in reverted places. but i have too much fatigue remembering anztime i need a y i need to press z.

Back