Apple's 2003 Software Roadmap

Great compiling work, Fryke. Thanks. About iWorks and Appleworks, how do we know that the "iOffice" will be seriously competing with MS Office? (Any source available?). In my experience, Appleworks is still ways from MS Office.

Well, there have been several rumours in the past about this. But if you look at when the lates version of AppleWorks (with new features) came out, you'll see that it's been YEARS since AppleWorks 6' introduction.

Originally posted by fryke
if you look at when the lates version of AppleWorks (with new features) came out, you'll see that it's been YEARS since AppleWorks 6' introduction.

OK, but time doesn't seem to be a sufficient argument. What happened since then?

can you post links to the places you compiled this from? It's nice to know what is new information and what is old information - otherwise it becomes a large game of telephone.

There's a big difference between two places independantly posting information about (say) iTunes 3 and one simply reposting/compiling information.

Well, it's not like I compiled the iWorks/AWOS rumour from several sources I could name with links. If you look at older articles on macnews, you'll find some hints, but basically that is just some new info I got about an older rumour.

Other rumour sites have confirmed in the past that Apple is re-doing 'Works in Cocoa instead of Carbon.

If you look for confirmation on other software titles, you'll find info on Final Cut Pro on sites like Macrumors.com or spymac.com as well as, I believe, ThinkSecret.

The small iTunes update has been confirmed by both of my iPod II sources.

Apple's push in the professional video industry is a strategy I've heard about several times. Info on Final Cut and DVD Studio as well as integration of the other products Apple has acquired last year has come my way in the past few weeks from several sources that don't want to be named, either.

fryke I don't know if you're the one who does the site maintenance or whatever but when you provide a link that leads the reader away from the site please make it open up in a new window! Life would be so much easier if everyone did that.

Yes, I'm site manager at macnews.net.tc.

I personally hate links that open new windows. If you want a link to open in a new window, there's a contextual menu in most browsers. Apple-clicking in OW opens a link behind the active window, which is great for news sites (Most of them link like that.) - and in Chimera, Apple-clicking a link can be set to open in a new tab, which is great, too. If, however, I'd set the links to open new windows, the user wouldn't have a choice. And I'm all for choices.

amen, fryke.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this way. i can manage my own windows, thank you! i don't need the web site to spawn them, move them, resize them, or close them.

sorry that this is sorta offtopic. :)

I, too, would think that Da_iMac_Daddy should rather have sent a mail to the webmaster, as this thread isn't discussing macnews.net.tc's UI design but rather an article on the site.

However, I also think that the question is interesting and it shows that people like to work differently with websites. UI design is important for webdesigners, and many of them don't think their designs through - and do not test them at all.

Back