Apples marketshare

Yes, very good Apple! It still amazes me how Dell can do so well, seeing that every machine of theirs I've ever used sucked.

I was going to buy a Dell before I switched to Mac. The reason being is because I seen what I thought was a good PC for a good price. And thats why Dell does so well. They can make their computer really appealing and nice sounded when it comes time to buy a new one.

Qion said:
Yes, very good Apple! It still amazes me how Dell can do so well, seeing that every machine of theirs I've ever used sucked.

I've owned one Dell and it's going to be the last Windows tower i own. I have seen the error of my ways...going full Mac probably by Leopard or after the x86 switch...

Buying branded PC's is really not that great nowadays if you know anything about computers... I got my custom built PC from buyxg.com and it's great. Good price for a powerful PC. They let you choose every piece of the computer, and then they put it together and ship it to you! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a decent, cheap custom PC, but doesn't want to hassle with putting it together theirselves.

I question how they get the market share numbers. What are they counting?

i still think HP is the way to go if forced (as i am) to use PCs (for work, etc)

Pengu said:
i still think HP is the way to go if forced (as i am) to use PCs (for work, etc)

I don't feel the same way. Have you ever tried to install a system into an HP or clone a hard drive? Urg... strange HP partitions and HP-only system BS. Building a custom is the way to go.

Dell are incredibly good producers of PC hardware. Their most annoying trait being that the outsourcing of support inquiries to India makes talking with them a struggle.

A mate of mine had a Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook whose screen's backlight failed (as all laptop screens are prone to doing after a while). A Dell representative was on site at his house the following day with a new screen (and for good measure, a new keyboard) and he was right to go in less than 30 hours after making a call to support.

We don't live in a metropolitan area so the technician drove from Sydney.

I call that impressive.

ok. its really not that hard to delete a partition. and. yes, i have "installed a system into a hp" (i assume you mean install an OS???)

It's really very simple. install windows (if using it). put in driver/application cd. install desired components. enjoy. repeat in 3 months when daily use of windows has bogged it down.

what exactly do you mean "hp only system bs"??

oh. and i've installed NLD (Novell Linux Desktop - Suse 9 with some bundled novell stuff) without any particularly big issues (video drivers. but i've never seen a linux distro have optimised drivers that are REALLY EASY to install)

Pengu said:
ok. its really not that hard to delete a partition. and. yes, i have "installed a system into a hp" (i assume you mean install an OS???)

It's really very simple. install windows (if using it). put in driver/application cd. install desired components. enjoy. repeat in 3 months when daily use of windows has bogged it down.

what exactly do you mean "hp only system bs"??

Sorry Pengu, I guess our experiences with these machines are different. I've just found that the installation process for these PC's is overly involved and difficult, and that HP has specifically designed an HP-only version of their installation disk, which I find annoying. So, for example, you couldn't install a version of Windows from an HP onto another non-HP computer and actually have it work. Also, all the HP's I've used are generally very prone to slow-downs when they get old.(like you said, 3 months? I think that's unacceptable)

And again to the main point I was making, if you just build the thing yourself, you are going to get a cheap, fast, and reliable computer.

Qion, I guess it must be a totally alien concept to you about the simple fact that some OEM versions of Windows are only installable on the designated machine. There's Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, et al, OEM versions of Windows that will only install on those machines.

About the same as it will be for the upcoming Apple OSX x86 that will install only on Apple hardware.

It's nothing new. It's nothing amazing. It's nothing hard to grasp. It's just amazing that you'd try to install a HP OEM on any other machine. That's just plain foolish.

My dealings with HP is only at server level, HP-UX and Win2k3, and I can't say one bad thing about them. Dell, same way. My Latitude notebook was a brick - in weight and build quality - that didn't get destroyed as easily as my iBook... but I'm rough on those things anyway. I don't, however, like Gateway. Not one bit. And blowing out a partition in any OS is very simple. Nothing mystic about it.

*dangles chicken head necklace over keyboad*

Making a big deal out of something that's very typical across the board for all computers...

sorry i should have specified. I dont use the supplied XP discs. I use our Volume License disc, then use the "application recovery" disc or whatever it's called to install drivers/bundled apps.

Hey - you guys are off topic again.

Does anyone know what numbers are used for market share percentages?

Sales of new computers? Sales of OS CDs? computer owners? Do they compare Apple with all the rest of the market? Or Apple vs Dell vs Gateway vs HP, etc... ????

why dont you guys follow the link in the first post? ;)
1) it is sold units for the quarter (new computers).
2) they compare apple with the rest of the market and with individual brands (HP, Dell etc).

The only odd thing about it is that they state the numbers include desktops, portables and x86 servers. what about powerpc-servers?

Qion said:

Odd I'm using a Dell right now, seems to work fine. Sure you weren't using one built with cheap parts? Try not to paint a company as bad just because you had bad personal experiences. You wouldn't want PC users doing the same to you because they had a bad experience with a first gen iMac.

anyways, on topic...

It will be interesting in the coming years how the share goes. With the Intel switch I am hoping prices will drop on their computers across the line. If that happens, I hope we will see more sales. But Apple really needs to make sure they continue on with innovation that is sellable. (iBooks and iMacs are the most important, they seem to be a big seller, but still could use to be a bit cheaper)

I worry that we set ourselves up to complain when prices don't go down. Apple is not going to be using off the shelf parts, they will still be designing their mobo's and pushing to squeeze the most out of the chipset. They will still be manufacturing said designs (well outsourcing them, but still) and so will still be struggling with economies of scale. They'll still putting the most into R&D, still coming up with cool industrial design. I would not be surprised to see prices stay the same - and then we'll hear a huge howl.

The next few years will certainly be interesting. But unless there's a big surge in adopters, I don't see price drops as the major part of that. And since many claim that price is most people's biggest barrier to adopting - I'm thinking 22 22 22 22. ;)

Back