Apple's New Phone - Better Come Quick!

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Well, I am starting to realize I may have lost my cell phone. This puts me in a bind, as I really do need a phone, but I could wait a few weeks for Apple to release one. Of course, they may not release it for 3-6 months.

Never thought I'd be in the this MacWorld "bind" with my cell phone!

:)

I will probably pick up a used one cheap and use it until Apple starts shipping it's phone. Not that I could afford their phone or anything. Hopefully its more than just a phone iPod, but I suppose that would be okay too.

I suggest you find one good enough to be used during a few months... or years if you want to wait for Apple phone (aPhone ?).

If the market over there is _anything_ like over here, you'll find new phones cheaper than 100 USD without contract. They're not the newest models and they'll suck for anything other than basic phone and messaging useage (i.e. forget about synching) but will be okay for those.

I picked up a GoPhone for $29. Included SIM card that I transfered my number over too, and will use the cheap phone until I find something better down the road.

The advice came from a local Cingular outlet.

good. :) now let's hope for a really, really great Apple phone, world-compatible and without contract, nicely priced for what it gives us, i.e. a phone that actually works fine and for - not against like so many others - the user.

good. :) now let's hope for a really, really great Apple phone, world-compatible and without contract, nicely priced for what it gives us, i.e. a phone that actually works fine and for - not against like so many others - the user.

That's a lofty goal, but I expect nothing less from Apple. I would switch from my phone and my carrier (if possible) to go to an Apple phone. I absolutely hate the money-hungry bastardizers that charge me 30 dollars more than they should every month, and give me the shittiest phones they can until I either strip power diodes from the boards of them or pay *more* money.

i used to really get into phones, but I haven't upgraded mine in years. I found I would buy a phone thinking "cool! it has this, and that", but after the first 2 days the novelty wares off and I end up using it simply as a phone and nothing else (in fact, i use SMS far more than the phone). Even my ringtone is just "ring ring".

While I look forward to seeing Apple's phone, I'm not sure it would be something I would buy, unless it were an iPod replacement or a PDA type phone.

TTCheese,

I agree with you in many aspects. I don't get the joy out of a phone as much as I think I should, and honestly, most of the features I don't use. What I do like on my last phone is the ability to sync over bluetooth with iSync, that was probably the best feature I have had on a phone in years.

I do like the ability to check my email on my phone, but I won't pay the extra money for the service to be able to get that feature. I don't do any SMS sending of messages, but I do receive messages (yo, Scott, your server is down) type things.

Scott

I just saw a commercial last night for Bang & Ollufsen's new hard-drive equipped media capable phone, which is designed with a circular iPod-style click-wheel surrounded by a circular numeric keypad and with the camera in the middle.

Sure, it was a touch clunky and I wouldn't fancy carrying it around with me, but it at least proved that what people have been demanding can be achieved - though at B&O's price-point and design lifespan I don't picture it doing well.

I've been holding onto this damn Razr far too long. Currently on replacement Razr # 5. So if Apple does come out with one that I like... I'll be one of the first to order one. My girlfriend looks at me like i'm crazy, lol. But she understands and lets it go. She just wants a phone that doesn't drop calls on her. I want a cool phone that actually functions.

I just saw a commercial last night for Bang & Ollufsen's new hard-drive equipped media capable phone, which is designed with a circular iPod-style click-wheel surrounded by a circular numeric keypad and with the camera in the middle.

Sure, it was a touch clunky and I wouldn't fancy carrying it around with me, but it at least proved that what people have been demanding can be achieved - though at B&O's price-point and design lifespan I don't picture it doing well.

The ability to sync my Razr is great. i wrote an applescript to sync it for me automatically every so often. So thats a must.

Back