Apples OSX Original screensavers?

Gambit

MacManiac
Heya guys!

Some time ago I threw away my original OSX screensavers. You know..."forrest", "Beach" etc.
This came with the OS installation, of course.

Now I'd like them back and know how to put them back only....I don't know where to download them (do they exist on the OSX downloads site at www.apple.com?)

I've tryed to find them but i fear that to get hold of them again..I have to reinstall the system - which I won't :)

Does anyone here happen to know if there is a download site at Apples for these?

Otherwise, I'll just have to get over it and be content with what I have instead.

Regards,
/G

hulkaros: yes, indeed...we have spoken here before ;)

Thanks for your tips.
I have thought of Pacifist but my experience with it before wasn't any good.
For your sake, I'll try it again.

I'll see what it gives.

Regards,
/G

Okidoki, it worked with me inserting the original OSX installer cd and Pacifist :)

The thing I did wrong first was not to read the "read me" for Pacifist and therefore missed that the only way I could reinstall the .scr files which was WITH the cd, not without it.

Heh, kinda obvious, isn't it!
I mean...lets face it, if I have trashed the savers...how is Pacifist going to be able to reinstall them without the files on my puter since - I trashed them :D

Oh boy, sometimes one just won't use ones head.

Cheers!
/G

Seems I said "hurray" in advance.

I did as was suspected of me:

1.reinstalled the forest.saver .pkg (the one i wanted to get back) with Pacifist.
2. I even copied the apple.forest.scr.plist from my iBook (where I have the saver intact and working perfect) and put it in the /Users/me/Lib/Prefs/ByHost.

Still no go :(

The screensaver won't load.

"can't load bundle" it tells me when I try to choose the forest saver.

What now? :rolleyes:

/G

Why don't you just get the pictures from those screensavers and then make a photo library saver out of that?

I believe the pictures are stored on the computer somewhere...hang on.

[EDIT: Uploading the screensavers to my website right now. I'll let you download them from there. Hopefully you have a fast connection speed?]

Connect your iBook in Target Mode to your other Mac and just copy the Screen Saver files from iBook's /System/Library/Screen Savers/ into your other Mac /System/Library/Screen Savers/ ...

Just in case, try to move first from /Users/me/Lib/Prefs/ByHost the files to /System/Library/Screen Savers/ and see what gives. I suggest to repair permissions before testing the Screen Savers. Let us know what gives!

hulkaros wrote:
"Connect your iBook in Target Mode to your other Mac and just copy the Screen Saver files from iBook's /System/Library/Screen Savers/ into your other Mac /System/Library/Screen Savers/ ...
Just in case, try to move first from /Users/me/Lib/Prefs/ByHost the files to /System/Library/Screen Savers/"

The first thing would give the same result as copying via our network, which I did.
Therefore I skip that part.

The second I already tryed though, not repairing the permitions afterwards.
I've done that now but still no go.

I will just for "fun" try out Mr. Precious link and do it manually (not forgetting the repairing).

I'll be sure to let you know what gives ;)

Thank you guys for your good tips!
PS: There MUST be something fishy about this, don't ya think? *Pfffft*

Cheers,
/G

About the "com.apple.screensaver.Forest.00039305859a.plist.plist"

Is it supposed to be ".plist.plist" at the end of that file? or just ".plist"?

And where, if not /Users/me/Lib/Prefs/ByHost is it suposed to be placed?

Originally I had it there. Now I'm starting to wonder if thats rightly placed.

Secondly.....I've now tryed out all of the above (exept making a photo library myself) and still...no.

Not that I will die if I can't make this thing work again. This is a whole different ball game :D
I WANT to know what's missing here.
It should be such a minor problem to fix I think.

I keep saying to myself when I see the darn "can't load bundle" - THEMS FIGHTING WORDS! :D

Oh well.
Lets see where this all ends up.

It's bed time for me here in Stockholm/Sweden.

Nighty!

/G

Delete the damn .plist file... It will be recreated... The Saver file from the original CD put it straight to /System/Library/Screen Savers/

At least that's where 10.2 puts them after installation...

Also, search anything screen saver related and Trash it... Especially, those .plist files :D

Back