Apple's Own Apps are Faulty

spitty27

Apple Avid
Hey, i know ive been posting around about this, but just wanted to put all three together in one post-

whenever i start up iChat, it brings me through the tutorial to set up an account, and then signs me in, i quit, and reopen and the same thing happens - but i still have my prefs. ive tried deleteing the plist, and repairing permissions - nothing

second app: iTunes - it displays the first launch license agreement every time i open it as if its the first time, but does not take me through the first time tutorial - again, prefs are still there, tried deleting, applying permissions,a nd repairing permissions - nothing.

third: terminal - i launch it and it gives me a completely transparent screen regardless of my color prefs for it, and white text with shadow, and launches this error:

Last login: Tue Oct 21 19:17:01 on ttyp2
Welcome to Darwin!
-bash: /Users/yweiss/.profile: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `M??!w+??2??o???4??'
-bash: /Users/yweiss/.profile: line 1: `U??q33^?_??:Q?????????r?n?fK}?a88(M??!???q??N?Q?Ex???w???????=;?z??u???6?`?????r?????@??M????W????'
nYoav-Weiss-Computer:~ yweiss$ na

Attachments

• terminalerror.jpg
    terminalerror.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 22
dude, you have a lot of problems for one guy. i'm sorry to be doubtful, but did something go wrong with the install or did you get a burned copy maybe?

no man, i formatted and installed, but i had backed up all my home folder from 7B80. i moved over all my app support and prefs, and stuff......

run:
sudo chown -R username ~

that should clear things up. replace username with your name of course. This script ensures that you own everything in your home folder. If your paranoid and don't want to muck around with anything else, you could run:
sudo chown -R username ~/Library/Preferences

but I always recommend re-owning your home folder after a move.

omg yey!!! wonderful!!! iTunes does not display the license anymore, and iChat is not asking me to set up an account!!!!! thank you so much danskinnyman

the only thing that didnt work is terminal - still displaying the funky transparency and error ^^ look above for a picture

you said regardless of your color settings, does this include the transparency slider on the bottom of the window (the color settings window)? Keep in mind after you make these modifications you probably want to click "Use Settings as Defaults" at the bottom to apply this to all future terminal windows. If all else fails you can just trash the terminal prefs. The terminal preferences are located at:
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist
Make sure to do this when the terminal is not running. If you still are having troubles with the error message, try moving or renaming the file its complaining about, see if that helps.

Just so you know this has nothing to do with faulty apple apps, it has to do with the fact that you moved your folder over to a new os x installation. Even though the user name is the same, the files still don't recognize you as their owner. All of these files are owned by the previous owner, your file on the other os x installation. In short, the apps could not read or write their own preferences. The terminal error is being caused for the same reason but i haven't the foggiest why it would occur specifically. Trashing the prefs should help though.

Back