AppleScript Questions - How do I do this?

Jasoco

Video Gamer/Collector
A couple simple questions about AppleScript.

First, you know about my mysterious "Temporary Items" problem. So I want to do some tests.

How would I make a script that runs in the background, watches a folder for certain folders/files being created and acts when one appears? Like, for instance, a dialog or beep or just delete the files?

I tried the Finder's Dictionary, but that was no help at all.

Another thing I can't seem to figure out. Wasn't Jaguar supposed to return Folder Actions? Where you can attach scripts to folders? Or is that another one of those promised but not delivered features?

Hot Folders, I mean Folder Actions were suppose to be added to 10.2......there they are

/Applications/AppleScript/Example Scripts/Folder Actions

/Applications/AppleScript/Example Scripts/Folder Action Scripts

if you want to keep checking for the existence of certain files in a certain directory you and keep cleaning it out, i think that you would be better of using a shell script and cron. First off I don't know even if you can do timed events with applescript, but applescript would have more overhead than a shell script, and an applescript you would actually see run.

I'm not aware of your "Temporary Items" problem, but it sounds like an easy task for a shell script. And cron is pretty easy to set up and use. You can find info about cron either on the Unix Side of things board, or just search google. And same with shell scripting

Just one question..

How is a Shell Script made? How do I make it? How are they written? What commands would be used? What should I do?

Back