AppleSupport AV

voice-

Registered
Video and voice chat with iChat is one hefty thing Apple wants to spread, here's an idea: remove a big need I have for a phone, give me AppeSupport AV. Most Macs have internal speakers/microphones, so the need for extra hardware is not there, but if you have iSight or a digital camera, so much the better.
Using the idea of Remote Desktop, text chat/video chat, they could easily eliminate most of my problems (and I'm sure other people's problems), like having support people who don't understand you on the phone (especialy reading the serial number is a b****).

Good idea? Bad idea?

i like that idea....at a small pc company i used to work at we used windows XP's remote desktop feature and remote assistance feature to help people out with problems all the time. It could possibly work.

Not going to happen, unless a monthly, yearly subscription fee goes with it. Phone support is BIG business for Apple and other companies.

true....i totally forgot about that. They would have to charge for it, though i'm sure customers would appreciate something more interactive like that..it would however have a clost associated with it.

Definitely the ability to change your phone service from your actual telephone to your computer microphone and speakers would be nice, and video-chat capabilities for an extra $5 or $10 per month... that would be awesome!

I know there is stuff out there that lets you use your computer as a phone. My friend was hooked on it for about a week or two a few years ago, and he kept using it... I'm sure it's PC-only and subscription-based, though, of course.

Apple could just charge you for a session of video help - just like they do phone help. Just have them take your info and put it in their database at the beginning of the call...
My local phone company is gonna start floating VOIP phone service soon, because in the state of minnesota it was just ruled that VOIP doesn't have to follow all the goofy telephone regulations. I think apple should hook iChat into VOIP too - they already have the SMS capability, you just go new chat and enter your friends number and you can send a tm!

Back