AppleSystemProfiler command boots Classic!?#

kommakazi

Hack the Planet!@#
OK i just tried to run the command 'AppleSystemProfiler' in Terminal and it started launching Classic and the classic version of Apple System Profiler. What the hell is going on?, it shouldn't do that, should it?

What *exactly* did you type? "AppleSystemProfiler"? Which directory were you in?

Try, in Terminal:
open /Applications/Utilities/Apple\ System\ Profiler.app/ or
open /Applications/Utilities/Apple(hit tab)

I just typed 'AppleSystemProfiler' in a new Terminal window, so it was in my home directory. This command should just list my system profile in the Terminal window shouldn't it?

type "which AppleSystemProfiler"

get back to us with what it says.

mine says /usr/sbin/AppleSystemProfiler
which does indeed launch Classic. odd. I can't currently find the one that is supposed to be command line OS X.

Originally posted by kommakazi
I just typed 'AppleSystemProfiler' in a new Terminal window, so it was in my home directory. This command should just list my system profile in the Terminal window shouldn't it?
Weird, I did the same thing you did before and I got nothing (back to a prompt). This time it's opening Classic, as you said. I just stuffed the Classic app and ran "AppleSystemProfiler" again and it's opening the one from /Applications/Utilities. There's a cli ASP? I didn't know that. :confused:

I think the pure command line version of the System profiler is gone.

What happens now (or is supposed to happen) is that /usr/sbin/AppleSystemProfiler (which is just an osascript) should launch the regular "Apple System Profiler" OS X app, get all the info from it, quit the app and then display the info in the terminal. Type
more /usr/sbin/AppleSystemProfiler
at the command line to see its innards. It's working fine for me.

I don't have Classic installed at all, so it probably works correctly for me because there is only one Apple System Profiler to launch. Read the last post in this thread. Moving/renaming/deleting the classic app should work (sounds like it did for you, level9) but it seems like there should be a better way, doesn't it? Does anybody know how to change where the script runner looks by default?

Anyway, it does look like the pure command line version is gone. Which is strange because now you can't use it at all in single user mode, right? Time to go check...

This just seems like a really really odd quirk in 10.2... I don't know why it'd even bother to look for the Classic version at all, and why they dumped the command-line version is beyond me...

Back