Appletalk Problems

Lanlord

Registered
I have Apple Talk turned on, but I cannot connect to my NT server which is running appletalk services. I found that to connect I need to hit command K and should be able to browse, a quick check in the help file said this feature does not work in X PB use tcp/ip instead.
OK, so I put in the IP address of my NT server and still nada. Tried afp://server ip and still nothing. I can ping it, I can get to it(NT Server) if I use a different Mac running OS9, I can open a terminal and see apple talk running and get the correct zone (appletalk -u en0) but no matter what I do I can't get to the server. Can anyone help?
Thanks

I think I read somewhere that you cannot connect via appletalk.. haven't tried yet. It would be available in the connect server volume menu command in the finder.

It only supports Appletalk over IP. The only variant of NT that supports this is windows 2000. Anything sooner only has a straight appletalk stack that does not support IP.

You can mount volumes from the finder. I just mounted my 9.0.4 system on my X system without problem. And it is very fast!

I am connecting to NT servers via TCP/IP (AFP over IP), but only by using the URL "afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where x is my server's IP address. That brings up a login dialog box which identifies the server by its AFP name. NO problem there.

However, it appears that standard AFP *does" work in OS X Beta, as one of my OS 9 boxes shows up in the Network browser, and I can log on to it. Other Macs should show up as well, but don't. And the AppleTalk name for the OS X box doesnt show up in the Chooser on my OS 9 Mac.

So, it's sporadic, but it's trying to work.

Just a quick follow-up to my previous post: I am connecting via IP to a Windows 2000 server, NOT Windows NT 4.0. I can't get an AFP-IP connection on NT. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm only seeing 5 computers on our whole network when I do command-K, and am not sure how to look at different zones. However, I did find that I could run the classic chooser and connect to other computers that way, and they come right up on the desktop the way they should!

Back