AppleTalk sharing problems under 10.1.2

thedbp

Frantic Messenger of Hope
So I just did a fresh install of 10.1 and then did all the software updates automatically in a row without installing ANYTHING ELSE. As of right now, I'd expect that this would be an optimal situation, with no problems.

Boy was I wrong.

It always used to work, now I get messages from a Mac running 9.1 that the connection was unexpectedly broken, and on a Mac running 8.1 that the server has unexpectedly shut down.

It appears in the Chooser and in the Network Browswer but won't allow any connections.

I have installed SharePoints but it wasn't working before I installed that.

Has nayone else had any trouble with AppleTalk sharing in 10.1?

I have had the biggest problems getting Appletalk to work with my airport. I have an iMac server hooked up to the airport and a TiBook that is the mobile client. If I set up the airport to hand out dynamic IP's to the imac, then I can connect to the imac with appletalk. If I set the imac to get it's IP manually from the airport's NAT, I can't make an appletalk connection between the two computers. But I need to set the imac to manual for portmapping so I can serve web pages, but this is also a problem. I have not figured out if there is a portmapping problem with this piece 'o junk airport yet or not. But I can't get it to serve anything yet.

Good Luck,
SA:)

Occasionally my iMac (running 9.2) refuses to see my iBook (running X.1.2) in the Chooser, but if I manually enter my iBook's IP it connects. It's kinda annoying but works when the Chooser/Network Browser decide to act up...

Select the "Allow Connections with TCP/IP" (make sure you have your permissions set up if your connected the internet, to protect yourself)

I'm currently doing beta testing for my company on OS X, and have that selected. When people loose their AppleTalk connection I get a lot of calls
because they can still see my computer under AppleShare.

I also like the FTP function, it makes it very easy for me to download patches,
throw them in my shared folder, and just get them through IE at their work stations.

Good Luck,
11dave

Originally posted by kommakazi
Occasionally my iMac (running 9.2) refuses to see my iBook (running X.1.2) in the Chooser, but if I manually enter my iBook's IP it connects. It's kinda annoying but works when the Chooser/Network Browser decide to act up...

Apple came out and posted a TIL on this subject, apparently this is due to AppleTalk while used in multihoming environments. To alleviate this dilemma, you can only have one Active Network Port that has AppleTalk enabled. e.g. if you use Airport with AppleTalk on, you have to disable the other network connection that also has AppleTalk selected - for example "Built-in Ethernet"'s tap for AppleTalk.

This is a minor bug in which Apple claims to have a fix by using their Location Manager if you need to switch between AppleTalk on Airport or AppleTalk on Built-in Ethernet - just create two configurations and switch between them... not really a solution but workable.

Hope that helps.

Back