AppleTV Release 2

supanatral

Registered
I preorderd appletv when it was first released. Anyways, I just watched the new Macworld and noticed that theres a new AppleTV out. I was wondering if or when they're releasing the new update for the original AppleTV?

macbri's got it -- there is no new AppleTV hardware... only a software update. All AppleTV units sold by Apple from the keynote onward will have the new software, and the update will be made available to older units sometime in the future.

Since the original AppleTV can display 720p content just fine, there won't be a need for new hardware for another year or two. Prices, of course, can go down over time. Anyone else think that parts of the new interface look fugly?

Didn't the prices drop after the Keynote? I believe the 40GB AppleTV was $299 before, now it's $229. Likewise for the larger AppleTV as well.

Since the original AppleTV can display 720p content just fine, there won't be a need for new hardware for another year or two. Prices, of course, can go down over time. Anyone else think that parts of the new interface look fugly?

And yes, the feeling is reminiscent of what I felt when the current iTunes skin was released.

Quite sadly, pricing stayed the same internationally, though. Seems like the new US pricing is adaptive, i.e. they're secretly mixing the price with expected rentals or something...

But what I meant in my previous message was that prices could _further_ go down in the _future_ one or two years that won't need new AppleTV hardware, because the hardware's perfectly capable of displaying the media sold on iTunes. No further R&D means a price advantage over time as disks and other components like that 1 GHz intel chip get cheaper and cheaper.

Got an apple tv 6 weeks ago and just love it. All my iTunes music plays thru my surround sound system, my photo's display flawlessly,and the podcasts are great. Can't wait for the free update and ability to rent movies on my wide screen. If you don't have one, you should strongly consider it!!!!!!!

Back