Appleworks 6 Just Dissappeared

MissUtu

Registered
Hello,

This is my first Mac, bought it a few months ago and it has been easy to navigate for me but now that I have this problem I have no clue where to begin. I have journals, essays and recipes saved to my hard drive all written using AppleWorks, and tonight when I went to open up one of my poems an error MSG popped up saying that there is no default application to open the document with. I tried to find Appleworks 6 but it was nowhere to be found, I have all the Appleworks stuff on my computer still - all the little folders and what not that say Appleworks/something but none of them are the icon I need to click to open the actual application. It is strange to me that all the applications files and folders are still in my Hard drive but I can't find a way to run it.
I tried using textedit to open the document but that just messed up the documents, half the words are upside-down question marks and all those funny looking symbols that I have no clue how to even make.
I had the Appleworks 6 shortcut on my desktop (It might not be a real shortcut like in Windows, I might have dragged it from my Hard drive onto the desktop - can't exactly remember what I did in the beginning.) When I went to click on it it did not respond. It was as if it was an empty link, or something. I accidentally dragged it into my tool-bar that is at the bottom which has itunes, iphoto etc all in it. I tried to drag it back to my desktop and poof, it literally disappeared in a little cloud.
I need to access my documents and would greatly appreciate your help!

Thank you for your time taken in reading this.

Sincerely,

Vanessa

p.s. It's an iBook G4 purchased about 5 months ago with OSX, I'm pretty sure it's Panther and not Tiger. I just ran all the updates today so it's up to speed.

On the Mac, a 'shortcut' is a keyboard equivalent. Thus, 'Command C', to perform a copy, is a shortcut.
On the Mac, the equivalent of a Windoze 'shortcut' is an 'alias'.

Dragging any item onto the 'Dock' is in effect creating an 'alias' to the dragged item. Applications are dragged to the top portion of the 'Dock' (above the faint separator bar); and, files and folders are dragged to the bottom portion of the 'Dock'.

To create an 'alias', of a file (application or document) or folder, one only needs to be in 'Finder', and after clicking on the item - to select 'Finder's 'File, Make Alias' menu item, or do a 'Command L'. The created 'alias' will have ' alias' appended to the name of the original file or folder. For example, an alias of 'AppleWorks' would be 'AppleWorks alias'.
Another, and quicker, way - is to do a 'Command <option>' click and drag - anywhere, but where the original item is located. No ' alias' is appended to the 'alias'es file name, using this process.

Do a 'find' 'Command F' via 'Finder' - selecting the 'Search in:' popup menu's 'Everywhere' menu item, for 'Name' (popup menu item) 'contains' (popup menu item), entering 'AppleWorks', and clicking the 'Search' button.
In the 'Search Results for "AppleWorks"' window - list the items by 'Kind' (by clicking on the 'Kind' column heading). If no listed 'AppleWorks' found under the 'Name' column, has a 'kind' of 'Application' - it would appear you trashed the 'AppleWorks' application. If so, locate the Apple provided disc and attempt to reinstall 'AppleWorks'.

Back