Appleworks 7 wish list

ericskilling

Registered
These are some of the things I would like to see in Appleworks 7 (in no particular order)

1) Quartz Text rendering. Yes, I'm spoiled by anti-aliased fonts. The fonts in AW 6 look sort of cheap against the rest of the OS.

2) Do something about the Styles pallette. There must be a better way of switching styles. In AW 5, it was a drop-down menu much like MS word. It worked and a lot quicker and easier to use.

3) Work out interface issues. Like the fact that it still doesn't accept my scroll wheel. The icons need work as well.

4) Technically not AW's fault, actually Dataviz. Sometimes the translations don't work as well as expected. Especially when dealing with tables or anything other than straight text.

That's it for now. I would like to hear anyone else's wish list for Appleworks 7 as my list is based upon my own use of it.

Regards,
Eric

Make the buttons smaller... I don't know about you, but I don't even *use* the Bold button that often. And when I do, it's cmd-B, (or Ctrl-B on my PC). There's too much emphasis on making the buttons bigger - yes, they're easier to hit - but they get in the way when you're *not* using them. At least include an option to make them smaller.

Also - include "spell checking on the fly" like the type found in MS Word - you've done it with the Mail App which you give out for free, so it can't be that hard to do - or at least *port*.

Brian.

I hope the table support in the word processing module gets improved. Mainly I'd like to see the border support on par with Microsoft Word. I keep running into issues when I try to put borders around all the cells. Also, I'd like to see the button bar revamped - I agree that the buttons are WAY too big.

The DataViz Word translator could use a bit of an improvement. It really isn't very useful beyond simple Word documents.

Oh yeah! I also agree with bundling it with all Macs, and not just the consumer machines. I mean, on the PC side, Word comes with pretty much all machines, so it would be nice if there is an office productivity software out of the box with all new Macs.

-B

I'd also like to see anti-aliased text and spell/grammar check on the fly. BTW, why does this thread have a thumbs-down icon?

How about support for raster graphics larger than 2000x2000, as well as support for dpi ratings of higher than 360? My thesis is being written in InDesign because of these things, but it's really overkill. I would do the whole thing in AppleWorks if the raster support were better.

it just seems kind of clunky and awkward to me. It needs to become a real alternitive to MS office. Because I'm not going to pay for office.

i think apple wotks 4 or 5 had the best interface, smal buttons, etc, this is one of apples apps that has not improved iwth every version simply gotten... weird...

Back