Appleworks Database Problem

AndreaM

Registered
I can't understand how to produce a report from a Database. In MS Works, you simply selected 'Report' and chose which fields you wanted to include in the report, which could then be printed in List View. However, in Appleworks it says, before you can do a new report, you have to have something set up in 'Search' and 'Sort' categories, but I can't figure out what your supposed to put there.

Can someone give me simple instructions on how to produce a 'List View' report detailing only the fields which I want included?

Thanks

I noticed that someone already responded to your query in Apple's Support Forum. It says pretty much what I would have responded. However, if you're not succesful, ring me up. I've been using AppleWorks' database feature in recent months and I've learned my share of things.

The following was obtained by selecting 'AppleWorks' 'Help, AppleWorks Help' menu item, entering 'Report' within the resultant 'Help View's window's search field, selecting the first item listed - 'Creating and working with database reports'; and, clicking on the 'Show' button.

'
Creating and working with database reports

A report is a layout that has a named search and a named sort associated with it. For example, you could set up a report that prints mailing labels (a Labels layout) for all addresses in California (using a named search) organized by ZIP code (using a named sort).
Before you can create a report, you need to create the layout, the named search, and the named sort that will be associated with it.

To create a report:
1 If you're not already in Browse or List mode, choose Browse or List from the Layout menu.
2 Choose New Report from the report pop-up menu, in the status panel (on the left of the document window).

3 Type a name for the report.
4 Choose a layout, named search, and named sort from the pop-up menus.
5 If you want to print the report each time you generate it, select "Print the Report."

To use a report:
1 If you're not already in Browse or List mode, choose Browse or List from the Layout menu.
2 Choose the report name from the report pop-up menu.

To modify a report:
2 Choose Edit Reports from the report pop-up menu.
3 Select a report from the list and click Modify.
4 If you like, type a new name for the report.
5 Modify the report options as you wish.

To delete a report:
2 Choose Edit Reports from the report pop-up menu.
3 Select a report from the list and click Delete.
'

---

Hmmm, I wonder if I just violated any copyright(s) (Alle Rechte vorbehalten), patent(s), or web site rule(s) ...

Thanks, Barhar. I have gone through the instructions for reports many times but it isn't answering the problem I have. I haven't given up and am still in dialogue with someone on the Apple Discussion Forums.

Back