Application Launch Failures during bootup(10.4.7)

TxCarGuy

Registered
Hello everyone. I just downloaded the latest OS X version(10.4.7) last night and went to start it up this morning. Upon start up, 4 pop up windows come up and say "Application Launch Failure. The Application "Transport Monitor" could not be launched because of a shared library error: 5 <Transport Monitor><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_Carbon_Sound><>." The same is said for Adobe Update Manager, HP Communication, and Palm Desktop Background. Also, I have tried opening Yahoo Messenger and it says "Application Launch Failure. The application "(null)" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "4<Yahoo! Messenger><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_CarbonSound><>" What does this mean? How can I fix this? I Have tried to repair the disk permissions and that hasn't helped. Any tips or hints would be appreciated. Thanks,
Adam

800 Mhz G4, 1 GB RAM, OS 10.4.7

I fixed it! After alot of searching, crossing fingers, and promising to sacrifice a PC in the name of all good things Mac, I found a site that said to redownload the quicktime update. I tried downloading it last night with the OS update but something was wrong. I redownloaded it, restarted, and everything is fine now. I also deleted the Palm Desktop link under System Prefs/Accounts/Login Items since I no longer use the old Palm. Hopefully no one else runs into this problem. I was getting frustrated because I just took alot of wedding pictures not too long ago and didn't want to loose them. Thanks

I had the same problem in application launch failures, affecting everything from MS Word to Adobe Illustrator. Software Update was also crashing when I tried to install the Quicktime Update, so I had to download the dmg directly. But it worked after a restart! Thanks for your post.
- Art.

I also get a failure of Palm Desktop during bootup. I deleted the Palm Desktop, downloaded the Quicktime.dmg file from the Apple website directly and installed. Then I reinstalled the Palm Desktop from the T|X cd. Behold, no change. I still get the window: "Unexpected end of file." with only one button: "Quit". Any ideas as to the next step to correcting this problem?

Back