application won't lauch

mala

Registered
Hi,

on my iMac G5 running 10.4.10 I have a severe problem. Almost all applications fail to lauch, only a few apps seem to launch (like IE 6 5.2, WMP, Adobe Reader, Terminal...) and System Preferences. The icon bounces a few imes or gets a tiny triangle at the bottom and then nothing happens, no error messages and I can't run the console log for messages either.
The last thing I did before the trouble began was to USB connect my Nokia 6233 phone (BIG mistake?) to see if I could get it to mount on the Macs desktop. It did mount but was otherwise incompatible.
I've now disconnected all attached peripherals except the keyboard, zapped the PRAM, rebooted on the Mac OS X installation CD and run repair disk and permissions and booted in safe mode but the apps still don't launch. I've also set up a new user account but the problem is still there. I cannot even see the system log about any error messages. Hmm what else have I done...? I've tried everything I can think of. What can I do more?
Any help here will be highly appreciated, the family computer is out of order....

TIA

Mans

While most people haven't had an issue with 10.4.10, I'm avoiding this update like the plague. There are all sorts of reports of USB and misc. problems with this POS update.

To fix this, First back up your important files! Try creating another user in Sys Preferences. If this problem persists in the new user account, do an archive and reinstall of your system using your install discs. This should clear up the problem, and DON'T reapply the 10.4.10 update. Instead go to Apple website and download the standalone 10.4.9 combo updater. It sounds like another USB 10.4.10 bug to me, but that's just my hunch.

Back