Applications QUIT UNEXPECTEDLY

neal.andrews

Registered
If anyone can offer any advice before I reformat my Powerbook it would be much appreciated ...

PROBLEM: All applications quit unexpectedly (5 days after my warranty ran out!!). There seems to be no pattern to this, but for some reason Firefox seems to be OK (most of the time, but not all the time).

Specs: Powerbook PPC 1.67, OS 10.4.8 (combo update), RAM = 1x512mb (Apple) + 1x1gb (Crucial).

Firstly I used Disk Utility to repair permissions, and the hard disk needed repairing also, which I did from the OS X start-up disk.

This didn't work so I suspected bad RAM. Memtest shows no RAM errors, so then I tried testing just one of the RAM chips at a time. Apps still crashed using the 1gb chip, but didn't crash on the 512mb chip, so I thought that was the problem, but after 2 days the apps started crashing again when using only the 512mb chip.

I have tried binning my Preferences but that makes no difference either.

Finally, I installed the 10.4.8 combo in case an OS update was causing problems. Again, no change.

Shall I try re-formatting my Mac and start again? Is there anything I should be doing/saving before I reformat?

Might be a hard disk issue... You can try using the disk utility software you got with Applecare to verify that the hard disk is not damaged.

I'd just save your files and start over. I'd probably take less time to do that than for us to look into your setup and try to find whatever is messed up.

Back