Applications stay in background on launch

magilum

Registered
After some period of normal operation, I'll notice launching applications -- either by double-clicking a document, icon in Dock, or by using QuickSilver -- will not bring them to the front automatically any longer. The problem stops after restart. Anyone experience this?

G5 Dual 1.8GHz
1.25GB RAM
Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11

Does it happen on all applications?
Did it happen before installing QuickSilver, or before updating 10.4.11?
Is QuickSilver up to date?
When this occurs, what does show in Console?

Once the bug occurs, it happens with all apps that are launched.

It's been happening at least since 10.4.8, IIRC. Not sure about QuickSilver's role, as I've had it installed continuously for some time now.

QuickSilver is up to date.

I'll have to check console next time it occurs.

I believe this is a Launch Services problem, fixed either with a Leopard-trusted utility -- TinkerTool System and Mac Pilot come to mind -- or by moving com.apple.LaunchServices.plist from your user Preferences folder to the desktop & it will rebuild itself. Okay, I'd delete, but I try to give more conservative advice. You'll have to okay the first launch of apps again ...

As suggested, I've tried deleting com.apple.LaunchServices.plist, and I've also run "Rebuild LaunchServices" using MainMenu; and rebooted. The problem continues, and seems to have become more frequent since the installation of Mac OS X 10.4.11.

It's happening right now, actually, and I've been going through Console... is there a particular log you think is relevant?

Back