approximation of MS US International keyboard in OS X

smenor

Registered
Does anyone know if there is a keyboard layout available for Mac OS X that comes close to the US international keyboard available in Microsoft Windows (9x; 2000; ME; XP)? (the main feature I'm interested in is the ability to easily add characters like ¿¡ and accented letters (á; é; í; ó; ñ; etc) WITHOUT having to use a layout that is different from the physical layout of standard US Mac keyboards)

thanks,
scott

Dude, you can just use the option key on the regular mac keyboards to get those thingies. I use them all the time.

Originally posted by dantjie
Dude, you can just use the option key on the regular mac keyboards to get those thingies. I use them all the time.

Thanks (stupid but even though I've looked at the key-caps before, I didn't realize that I could use the option key with the standard US keymap to get accented letters).

Definitely helps BUT the behaviour isn't quite what I want. In the Windows US-International layout, you can just type ' followed by a for á or shift-6 (^) followed by a for â instead of something less intuitive like option-e followed by a or option-i followed by a (don't mind having to hit an extra key (option) so much BUT really don't like that it's option-e instead of just the ' key (even if it was option-', I'd be a lot happier)).

Also, don't like the inconsistent keystrokes for ¡ (option-1) versus ? (option-shift-?) (would rather both require just the option key or both require option-shift).

Am probably just being overly picky and asking for a bit too much but the US-International keyboard layout is one of the (few) things I really miss about Windows (still, your suggestion is MUCH more usable than what I was doing (switching between keyboard layouts)).

Cool beans! Well, if you are really still wanting to look for that key board, good luck duder.

Back