Apps failing or crashing occasionally.

sredish

Registered
Whats happenin peeps?

I'm a recent windows crossover and am still learning things. I'm having an issue of occasional crashes from apps. Sometimes it might be Entourage, another time maybe Firefox (my main browser) and on occasion, MacDraft. I use this machine on a 11g network with two windows machines.

I'm unsure why these happen and it's not real often, maybe 2 or 3 times a week it'll happen. It's like I'll click something or go to open something and it'll think then close and it's always random. Made me think I might have some bad memory (and I wanted some RAM anyways) so I threw a new 1GB clip in there and swapped it out with one and ran it for a while. Then swapped back in the one and replaced the other with the 1GB one to try to eliminate one of the cards with no change. Seems the browser does it most, especially Safari.

I'm not sure if it's something I'm missing, like doing typical maintenance or cleaning. Heck, I don't even know what to do for typical maintenance or cleaning or whatever. Can anyone give me tips on that as well?

I have a:

15" Powerbook G4
Superdrive
1GB Ram card and a 256 Ram card

So, any thoughts would be appreciated and I'm so glad I made the switch otherwise. I have learned to absolutely hate Windows, especially since I still have to deal with 2. Despite these little quirks, this is the best thing I've ever done. I'm on here quite a bit drawing and working on my site and other crap.

Thanks peeps,
Scott

Let me just add that I don't have to restart. I always get the "application failed" window asking me if I want to submit the info or not. I'll restart whatever app it is and it works fine.

I read something about screwing with the fonts and how you can mess some things up and I haven't done that, hell I don't even know where to find the fonts yet, I've barely found the calculator.

Have you tried repairing permissions using Disk Utility? It's located in Applications-->Utilities on your hard drive. Launch Disk Utility and run the Repair Permissions option. Once that is done, try and run Disk First Aid (also an option in Disk Utility). If it doesn't work, boot from the Mac OS X Install CDs you have, go to the File menu (I believe it's under there), and select Repair Disk. Select your hard drive under Disk First Aid and run a Repair.

If that doesn't work, let us know. Are you using any Norton product btw?

Thanks for the response. No Norton product or any Antivirus for that matter. Also, this is OSX Panther 10.3.9, haven't made the move to Tiger yet.

I'll check out those Disk Utilities.

Scott

Back