Apps requiring X11 don't start

Luc4

Registered
Hi! I tried to install some apps requiring Apple's X11 like wireshark and the gimp compiling them with macports. The problem is that they're not starting. They simply don't start. I tried running them from the terminal but I get no error. I just formatted my partition so this is a fresh system, but before these same apps used to work correctly. The first time I try to run gimp I get a message saying I don't have Apple's X11, then I run it and the next time I start gimp it simply doesn't start. No more messages. Any idea what there could be wrong?
Thanks!

IIRC X11 is a separate install. So if you formatted and reinstalled OS X it could be you forgot to check this (and it therefore is not on your HD).

But in the utilities I do have an icon for X11... What's that then?
Anyway, I tried running the installation DVD but I can't see where X11 is. I'm asked to restart, do I have to do that? I can't see any other software I can install.
Thanks for your answers!

But in the utilities I do have an icon for X11... What's that then?
Anyway, I tried running the installation DVD but I can't see where X11 is. I'm asked to restart, do I have to do that? I can't see any other software I can install.
Thanks for your answers!

I don't know how well apps installed through MacPorts integrate with Apple's X11.app. I've tried in the past with Fink and I wasn't successful in getting them to work either. Have you tried launching X11, bringing up an xterm window, and launching those applications from the command line that way?

Yes, running X11 didn't create an icon as I remember it did, but started a process called x11. Anyway the apps were not correctly loaded. I tried to use "Wilber loves apple" gimp version but nothing changed, so it seemed not to be a macports related issue.

I solved installing xquartz. Now every app I tried seems to run correctly.

Back