Apps seen as documents

francofranchi

Registered
I just found that a few applications (see the image) are now seen by finder as documents. On the other hand, they seem to work normally, nor did I notice any other inconvenience. How can I get them back to their real type?

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 58
FYI, that's not a document icon; that's the default application icon.

Anyway, my guess is that your launch services may be corrupted. Go to your home/Library/Preferences folder and delete the three files that start with LS. LSApplications, LSSchemes, and LSClaimedTypes... I think. Then log out, log in, wait a minute or two (there may be disk activity as the Finder re-cataloges your apps), log out, and log back in again.

Hope that works. :)

If that doesn't work try seeing if you accidently added another extention to them by turning on the view all file extentions in the finder preferences.

`Yoshi

Originally posted by yoshi
If that doesn't work try seeing if you accidently added another extention to them by turning on the view all file extentions in the finder preferences.

`Yoshi

Yeh, or just try to edit the name to e.g TextEdit.app and see if they become apps again :)

Friends, thanks for your ideas but unfortunately they don't work: I've tried them all and... uhm... I'm not confusing the icon with the finder type: if I open the finder info window for one of those applications, it says they are "documents", but if I doubleclick them, they run normally!!! Mistery of OSX. Grunf.:confused:

Originally posted by francofranchi
Friends, thanks for your ideas but unfortunately they don't work: I've tried them all and... uhm... I'm not confusing the icon with the finder type: if I open the finder info window for one of those applications, it says they are "documents", but if I doubleclick them, they run normally!!! Mistery of OSX. Grunf.:confused:

That's what I call a bug. Report it to Apple :)

I did run the disk utility and nothing changes. Also, there is no difference if I login as root or as a different user. I also tried the chsk command at console startup. Then I optimized the entire system… What I'm now thinking is that some of the shareware applications I downloaded, tested and discarded may have missed up some sort of file type list maintained by the system. Is there any? Is so, where I find it? I am anyway going to report the thing to Apple. But, strangely enough, I don't have any another misbehavior on my Mac, which I'm using extensively,

Back