Archive & install ?'s

BriPod

Registered
I've decided to archive and install in order to repair some problems i've been having. My drive is partitioned for dual boot, os 9 and os x. I don't need 9 any longer, can i remove it without doing a complete wipe? I'd like, if possible, to have 10.3.8 on one partition, and tiger on another. Is this possible, and if so, what do i need to do?
Thanks for any responses,
_Brian_

BriPod said:
I've decided to archive and install in order to repair some problems i've been having. My drive is partitioned for dual boot, os 9 and os x. I don't need 9 any longer, can i remove it without doing a complete wipe? I'd like, if possible, to have 10.3.8 on one partition, and tiger on another. Is this possible, and if so, what do i need to do?
_Brian_

You won't be able to partition your internal, without erasing it.

BriPod said:
My drive is partitioned for dual boot, os 9 and os x.
If you already have two separate partitions on your drive, then why not simply erase the OS 9 partition and install Tiger there, and keep your current installation of OS X 10.3.8?

Or is your OS 9 System Folder on the same partition as 10.3.8?

BriPod said:
_Brian_

I probably did not read correctly before. I have never tried to erase a partition on an internal using another, but you may be able to do so. But, regardless, you should be able to uninstall everything on the OS 9 partition. As implied, I now am assuming you have 2 partitions. And, you would be able to archive and install on the OS X partition.

I've erased os 9 completely and installed 10.3.8 on that partition, and am going to update the other to Tiger as soon as i can get my hands on an internal superdrive (don't have one) or a copy of the OS on cd.
Thanks everyone for help so far

Unfortunately, there aren't any free partition tools, but SubRosaSoft offers VolumeWorks if you feel like paying the price. I've found it to be a good tool. It's very nice to use.

BriPod said:
I've erased os 9 completely and installed 10.3.8 on that partition, and am going to update the other to Tiger as soon as i can get my hands on an internal superdrive (don't have one) or a copy of the OS on cd.
Thanks everyone for help so far

Good deal, and you are welcome. I have not done so, but I am pretty confident that you could install Tiger on your other Partition using firewire target-disk mode. Try this procedure at your own risk, of course, especially since I have not tried it with Tiger.

Back