Are Apple's servers the fastest?

mightyjlr

Registered
Whenever I run Software Update and download something (or from iTunes), files pretty much download twice as fast as anything else I download. I'm on cable and I get around 1.5 MBs/second for Apple downloads, and I usually get around 500kbs-900kbs for everything else. Has anyone else noticed something similar?

Hi
Yes Apple have fast servers, I update many machines using software update and use the Apple support website to download .dmg for update distribution, but I have seen other downloads faster or the same than the Apple ones.
I use this page to test theoretical max speeds-
http://www.speedtest.net/

Ed

I guess of course when your a billion dollar company, you can afford a plethora of servers. I am sure they also have the fastest connections out there. What I'm also pretty sure about is that they have multiple servers for just a couple of files. They have it set up so that one server might hold a piece of that file and another server would have another piece of that same file. All the servers would come together when you download so that you have one file, so theoretically they could have like a 1000mbit.

It's like back in the day when we had could hook up two 56k modems to one computer then we would be able to run at speeds of up to 112k. So what I guess I am trying to say that they have tons of servers and internet connections.

Back