Are you a full time OS X user yet?

Are you a FULLTIME OS X user?

• Yes, I could remove Classic from my system--no worries mate.

• No, I still need Classic, even if it's just for an occasional use...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've only been a Mac-user for about 14 months, I used OS 9 for about 2 months until 10.1 was released and since that point I've been a full-time OSX user.

9 was cool, I wish I used a Mac earlier so I could have done more in 9, but the only reason I purchased an Apple instead of a PC in the first place was because of OSX. I don't even have Classic on my computer .. absolutely no need for it!

I am also reasonably new to Macs. I converted in November, 2000 when I couldn't stand the pressure any longer and bought a G4 Cube (just to cool not to have!). I started using OS X a couple of months after it was released and have never turned back. If it won't run in OS X, I don't buy it. Except for the extra HD space, I would never notice if OS 9 was deleted.

I have a PM 7200 at home with OS9...my ibook only has OSX installed, though. I decided if they didn't make it for X, I didn't need it.

i still use classic for legacy software I have
(ex. medical textbooks and children
software for my daughter.)

Otherwise I use os x exclusively.

Been using Macs all my life, but been using OS X since 10.0. I even used solely the Public Beta for a month just too see what it was like. It was hard and I couldn't play games but even that worked out fine (though slow on my Rev. A iMac). Since then I still have 9 running on my iMac but I don't even use it, my sister does. My tower still has classic but I don't even know if I've ever booted it? heh... X rocks!

I use an Epson 740 printer and always boot back into my Classic partition when printing pictures...the options are much easier to set up in OS9 than in OSX...i've messed up several times when trying to print in OSX.

I also boot back into OS9.x when burning CD's with Toast...I have made coasters in OSX, but I can't remember the last Coaster in OS9.

I still use an older Quicken version and American Heritage Dictionary which require Classic...My Appleworks 6.2.4 application is installed on the OS9 partition, although I can run it from OSX without starting Classic .

I have several reference CD's which require OS9 and earlier to run...e.g.,ABA Family Legal Guide, 3D Atlas, Family Doctor, Mayo Family Health, GME97...be a shame to toss them.

And a Passel of different games which can only run in Classic.

I'm afraid I fail to see why a lot of folks see it as a plus to drop OS9 altogether...i'd feel shortchanged if I couldn't still use it.

Matt

I run them in OS9 :

- Quark XPress
- Acrobat Distiller
- Macromedia Fontographer
- Unreal Tournament
- Quake 3

All of them are either faster or only available under OS9.

Most of the time, I need to open Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10 and Quark 5 simultaneously, as well as Acrobat Distiller, a browser, and iTunes :p . I'm able to do this and to keep speed intact only with OS9.

I use classic for Photoshop - don't really want to stump up the cash for v7 but guess I might do when I eventually get a new machine. Doesn't seem worth it on my 300mhz g3!!

Also used to use classic for dreamweaver but have kind of moved over to using BBEdit more recently on X instead (get better code by hand anway!).

All the applications I use are now on X - the only reason I might not actually have them is for financial reasons rather than of availability.

Have given up playing games on my mac as my Rage Pro doesn't really cut it anymore and gives no OpenGL in X. Got a gamecube instead.

Hardly ever actually boot into os 9. Perhaps only for the odd session on Cubase but don't really get time for that much these days! (Is Cubase on X yet?)

Lingering thorns in my side:

Quickbooks (done in 1st qtr 2003)
Distiller (Carbon anytime, anyone?)
Myth II for hardware rendering
Director 8.5 (Get with the freaking program, Macromedia!)
CuBase until two days ago (tho X version is BUGGY as hell so far)
Extensis Portolfio (you said SUMMER 2002. Summer is gone, jerks)

In six months I should be 100% OS X, but I will leave OS 9 around for at least six months after that, cuz you never know and relatively speaking it takes up little space.

On my G3 and G4 I only go back for Quark (less so now I have InDesign 2) and if I need to print edge to edge on my Stylus1290. My Umax won't run 10 and our computers at work are rubbish (plus the fact that we use Quark for everything) so we're still on 9.1 and 9.2 respectively.

As soon as Epson catch up with their drivers, Quark's gonna struggle to hang on!

I use classic, still. Why not? It's only 300 MB, and it's a whole other operating system, whcih let's me use a whole other world of programs:

Photoshop 5 (I'm too cheap to upgrade)
SimCity 2000 (Came on two floppies... best Sim game ever)
Final Cut Pro 2 (too cheap to upgrade, and there's no "real time" effects on my TiBook, so why bother?)

adambyte is right, Classic is light, fast, and you can still use a huge range of software through it. That's why I keep a Classic partition on my drive (2Gb partition out of 20).

I don't really care Apple stops supporting Classic, because I d'ont need support any more. OS9.22 is very stable at home, because I know how to twist it and to get what I need from it. I know the system really by heart, and I've turned off everything I don't need. All the items in the System Folder have comments telling where they come from (I used FileBuddy to get them applied by batch). There's not one sole file in the Preferences folder I can't tell you the origin, whereas in OSX I just tried to understand my Preferences folder and gave up after two minutes.

I don't really have time for learning a news OS. I'm keeping OS9, thus, s it's there when I need its speed, its programs, its MacsBug window I love :p .

A last thought : http://www.fandango.net/switched.mov
;)

Nope, there's still too much in OS9 for me to trash it. Maybe in, say, ten years... :D

Note: 100% of the time, I boot in OS X. I run classic for a few minutes every other day. And I never actually BOOT in 9. I just love the flexibility Classic gives us.

Originally posted by MacLuv
Okay so i hope you didn't vote for "Full Time" status unless you NEVER use your other computer...

Folks, FULLTIME OS X means FULL TIME OS X, which means if you have two computers and one of them still has OS 9 on it and you use it to check your email or whatever, YOU'RE STILL USING CLASSIC...

Okaaaaaaaay then.

To clarify: my wife uses the 7200 for wordprocessing and internet surfing. Sometimes I help her do something or fix one of her goofs, but other than that I never touch that machine.

Surely this won't hurt my exclusive standing?!? I use it to get into all the best clubs...

Back